• Jack Cummins

I am not really in disagreement with your point about people will always be arguing that others are being treated unequally.

I think that the problems were around long before Covid_19. In a previous thread comment I said that at times I wonder if the Covid_19 situation and the whole lack of its management is in some ways a deliberate strategy to reduce population control. This may be a bit conspiracy theory but I do believe that there is more going on politically than portrayed in the media. I question it all really.

I would also say that I am not a complete optimist but I would like to see possible positive ways forwards. I get depressed and my whole approach is about personal and global healing. We all have biases and the need to acknowledge them is important.

I don't believe we can ever be perfect or that an exact utopia can be created but I would advocate a philosophy which can rise above the egoism of politics. I think we need a whole new type of vision and world leaders and if enough people awakened who knows what could happen. Surely, it is something to strive for rather than the antinatalism which seems to be at the forefront of this site. Surely, better ways of achieving sustainable living are more creative than collapsing into despair and nihilism.
  • Gus Lamarch
    I think that the problems were around long before Covid_19. In a previous thread comment I said that at times I wonder if the Covid_19 situation and the whole lack of its management is in some ways a deliberate strategy to reduce population control. This may be a bit conspiracy theory but I do believe that there is more going on politically than portrayed in the media. I question it all really.Jack Cummins

The pandemic was a plate full of arguments for the media and for politics. Quarantine was one more way for the state to demonstrate its strength over the population. Step by step, you'll eventually destroy the world...

I would also say that I am not a complete optimist but I would like to see possible positive ways forwards. I get depressed and my whole approach is about personal and global healing. We all have biases and the need to acknowledge them is important.Jack Cummins

It is good that you are optimistic, as this will be the necessary mindset when the bad times come. I'm not trying to appear apocalyptic or pessimistic, but, by my studies, we are very close (1) or to the end of our current way of life and not for the better or (2) close to the total collapse of society. Between the two, I still don't know which one will be the real one.
  • Jack Cummins

I do consider think we are already in a post-apocalyptic age. The people I know are already in day to day survival mode.

At times I am tempted to cave into depression and despair on a personal level and in interaction with the daily world. But something inside of me, the life force perhaps, drives me onwards to struggle for a better way to live.

I hope that you are not right that the worst is yet to come.
  • Gus Lamarch
    At times I am tempted to cave into depression and despair on a personal level and in interaction with the daily world.Jack Cummins

We are all tempted by giving up daily, but the grace of existence is being able to let time feel the anguish of waiting for your eventual death.

I hope that you are not right that the worst is yet to come.Jack Cummins

Me too friend...
  • Jack Cummins
    I only found this response today because sometimes my messages don't show up immediately to forgo on my phone. Sometimes I get them immediately and and others days after.

I will.bear this in mind and keep plodding on with the daily realities of the philosophers plight
    because it is not easy but part of the quest.

I am not an academic but struggle with the questions of philosophy day by day and wish to make a contribution. I am neither a complete egoist or a subscribed philosopher of noble aclaom but I believe that we can all take part in drawing up issues for debate rather than leave it all in the hands of those in authority.
  • god must be atheist
    I definitely agree that philosophy is not supportive therapy. It is love of wisdom, but why does that only "partly depend on finding the truth''?Jack Cummins

Because some truths have not been found. So it does not depend on the end result of finding the truht, it depends mostly on continuing the quest of trying to find the truth.
  • Jack Cummins

I do agree that the quest for truth is a goal rather than a static end to be achieved. I dare'nt think what the one truth to end all others would be if it could be found. Whose ends would it serve?

As it is we have the many viewpoints fighting to be heard amidst a chaotic world. We can search for those which seem more truthful and useful and hopefully see better ways of thinking. But if the world as we know it still exists at the end of this century perhaps the most en vogue thinkers will be seen as antideluvian because a whole new paradigm of perspective might have emerged from the depths of the gutter of the collapsing world.
  • Gus Lamarch
    we can all take part in drawing up issues for debate rather than leave it all in the hands of those in authority.Jack Cummins

Philosophy is corrupted when it spends a lot of time in the hands of the self-proclaimed "sages" and it eventually passes from philosophy to biased opinion within a few generations. It is good that amateurs philosophers continue to emerge and continue to make their views public whether they are controversial or not. At least with this, we can delay the future dogmatic hegemonic way of thinking that will arise - in the west at least -.
  • Jack Cummins
    I
    I would demolish the sages and say that perhaps our words which can guide the future.

Perhaps we are amateurs but the world that we have known is crumbling.I miss libraries as a source of knowledge. I hope that they reopen, but one day, but for now perhaps the views proclaimed on websites, for better or worse.

I prefer paper books and real bodily humans talking but in the waves of uncertainty perhaps it will never happen, or for a while at least.

So, in the meantime, despite my sense of being a bit of a punk philosopher, perhaps we will have to be the best possible thinkers trying to make sense of it all, and as I said earlier today in another, perhaps for better or worse, as we are writing on an an official site we may end up being quoted for better or worse by philosophy students, as we are writing on an official website.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet