• Pro Hominem
    Individual freedom and democracy are bubbles of secularism too. - Examples could be the Roman Republic period, the Classical Greek period and the Late Bronze Age period -Gus Lamarch

I don't really see how secularism applies in those cases. How are you using the term?
  • Gus Lamarch
    secularismPro Hominem

"Indifference to or rejection or exclusion of religion and religious considerations; worldly rather than spiritual; the act or process of diversifying; a complete denial of all established authority and institutions; state of deterioration or decay, especially due to being excessively morally corrupt or self-indulgent."
  • Pro Hominem
    secularism
    — Pro Hominem

"Indifference to or rejection or exclusion of religion and religious considerations; worldly rather than spiritual; the act or process of diversifying; a complete denial of all established authority and institutions; state of deterioration or decay, especially due to being excessively morally corrupt or self-indulgent."
    Gus Lamarch

Wow. That is a singularly argumentative attempt to define the term. Uh, this would probably require its own thread to unpack.

I would venture that it appears (although I may be mistaken) that your analysis is from a decidedly Christian perspective, so it seems problematic to me to cite examples that predate Christianity. I am making some assumptions there, but I am trying to be up front about them.
  • Gus Lamarch
    I would venture that it appears (although I may be mistaken) that your analysis is from a decidedly Christian perspective, so it seems problematic to me to cite examples that predate Christianity. I am making some assumptions there, but I am trying to be up front about them.Pro Hominem

My view is not tied to the christian perspective, because secularism is something that arises from the concept of "Religion", be it monotheistic, pantheistic, panentheistic, etc ... The Roman Republic fell, like the Bronze Age civilizations - the latter was very more indirect than directly but still applies - thanks to the definitions I have described that arise from secularism.

You don't necessarily need a christian society to have the secular term applied:

Ex:

Disbelief in the established pantheon of Gods;
    Worldliness instead of a spiritual life;
    Cultural diversification and tolerance;
    Denial of the established authority;
    Social decadence caused by the corrupt morality and politic.

That's how you die as a Republic and is reborn as an Empire.
  • Pro Hominem
    My view is not tied to the christian perspective, because secularism is something that arises from the concept of "Religion", be it monotheistic, pantheistic, panentheistic, etc ... The Roman Republic fell, like the Bronze Age civilizations - the latter was very more indirect than directly but still applies - thanks to the definitions I have described that arise from secularism.

You don't necessarily need a christian society to have the secular term applied:

Ex:

Disbelief in the established pantheon of Gods;
    Worldliness instead of a spiritual life;
    Cultural diversification and tolerance;
    Denial of the established authority;
    Social decadence caused by the corrupt morality and politic.

That's how you die as a Republic and is reborn as an Empire.
    Gus Lamarch

There's probably an interesting conversation here, but we are WAY off the topic of this thread now.
  • Gus Lamarch
    but we are WAY off the topic of this thread now.Pro Hominem

Agreed. If you want, just start another discussion about the topic, or otherwise, send me a message.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.