• Moliere
    I think that what is most striking in difference between religion and philosophy is in the approach to faith. Faith, like the two aforementioned terms, cannot be easily defined without ignoring important shades of meaning which the word takes on. It's a practice, it's a type of belief, it's a state of mind, it's a value, it's many things.

But in a religion what it does is different from what it does in a philosophy -- in a religion faith is a justification. But in philosophy, while faith can play as motive, it can never be provided as a justification. It may be an (honest, admitted) reason for a stance to some interlocutor or audience, but the expectations of philosophy is that in addressing said audience you will not expect faith to compel said audience to whatever it is you are proposing.
  • Rich

I agree. One cannot single out one type of group as being more or less dogmatic. It varies by degree and where the dogma is taught.
  • Rich
    I think that what is most striking in difference between religion and philosophy is in the approach to faith. Faith, like the two aforementioned terms, cannot be easily defined without ignoring important shades of meaning which the word takes on. It's a practice, it's a type of belief, it's a state of mind, it's a value, it's many things.

But in a religion what it does is different from what it does in a philosophy -- in a religion faith is a justification. But in philosophy, while faith can play as motive, it can never be provided as a justification. It may be an (honest, admitted) reason for a stance to some interlocutor or audience, but the expectations of philosophy is that in addressing said audience you will not expect faith to compel said audience to whatever it is you are proposing.
    Moliere

I agree to an extent. But now we are talking more about style rather than substance. Hence, the dogma is there it is just we don't publically call it dogma or admit to it. Instead we might call it foundational or a core belief system.
  • Agustino
    Lord Agu.Heister Eggcart

I don't know what religious background you've come from, but I remember telling Agustino (to his confusion) that I see myself as being Christian, but a Christian.Heister Eggcart
    Thou shalt not take the LORD's name in vain :-* Have you forgotten that commandment? :P
  • TheMadFool
    Probably because they are empty phrases without any real meaning.Jeremiah

Don't be so quick to judge. Perhaps there's a grain of truth hidden somewhere.

I think you just say things because you like the way it sounds.Jeremiah

You're right but I try to be truthful.
  • Jeremiah
    Perhaps there's a grain of truth hidden somewhereTheMadFool

There is a grain of truth in every vague ill-defined statement. For example: It is best in the winter.
  • TheMadFool
    There is a grain of truth in every vague ill-defined statement. For example: It is best in the winter.Jeremiah

Assuming I understand you correctly, what is your standard for truth and meaningfulness? And how does religion fail?
  • Buxtebuddha
    <insert witty quip here>
  • Jeremiah
    Assuming I understand you correctly, what is your standard for truth and meaningfulness? And how does religion fail?TheMadFool

"what is your standard for truth and meaningfulness"

You want me to type out a book? I don't really think I could sufficiently answer that question on an internet forum.

"And how does religion fail?"

Never said it fails.
  • TheMadFool
    You want me to type out a book? I don't really think I could sufficiently answer that question on an internet forumJeremiah

Sometimes a single word may describe an entire book e.g. The Bible can be represented by the word ''hogwash'' to an atheist and ''God'' to a theist. Can you not express your views in a paragraph or so?

Never said it fails.Jeremiah

What's the difference between religion and philosophy?
  • Jeremiah

"Sometimes a single word may describe an entire book"

That is a description; not an explanation.

"Can you not express your views in a paragraph or so?"

No.

"What's the difference between religion and philosophy?"

Already posted my views on their differences.
12345Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.