• Terrapin Station

Pointing your finger has no meaning?
  • Agustino
    Pointing your finger has no meaning?Terrapin Station
    It has meaning, but that meaning is not a statement. It's not a proposition.
  • Terrapin Station

What meaning does it have?
  • Agustino
    What meaning does it have?Terrapin Station
    It shows them the state of affairs they're interested to know about.
  • Terrapin Station

How does it show that? Not by indicating something like "There (is) . . ."?
  • Agustino
    How does it show that? Not by indicating something like "There (is) . . ."?Terrapin Station
    Yes by indicating "there it is". But even my dog understands what pointing my finger means - it means "there's the ball" - a fact, not a proposition in this case, because my dog doesn't understand language, and isn't a language using animal.
  • Terrapin Station
    Yes by indicating "there it is".Agustino

How is that not a proposition?
  • Terrapin Station

You understand that propositions are not the actual words used, right?
  • Agustino
    How is that not a proposition?Terrapin Station
    Does my dog understand propositions?
  • Agustino
    You understand that propositions are not the actual words used, right?Terrapin Station
    Can propositions exist outside of language?
  • Terrapin Station

I don't believe that we have a very good idea what animals like dogs' minds are like, but I think it's safe to guess that they understand many things, that they can apply meaning, etc.

Can propositions exist outside of language?

They're not language per se, they're meaning. It depends on whether you consider all meaning (like pointing a finger to say "there is is") language or not. That does have meaning, and expresses a proposition.
  • Terrapin Station

A proposition is not identical to the sentence "Snow is white."

It's rather the meaning expressed by the sentence "Snow is white."
  • Agustino
    They're not language per se, they're meaning.Terrapin Station
    Okay, so according to you, truth is a property of meaning right? Meanings can be true or false?
  • Terrapin Station

Yes, on the standard view truth-value is a property of those meanings (since that's what propositions are). On my view, the way that property obtains is by making a judgment about how propositions relate to facts, for example (on correspondence theory). It's not just any meaning, by the way. It's meanings that can be expressed by declarative sentences, for example.
  • Agustino
    So therefore, "(the truth of) everything depends on who is assessing it" - the meaning of that corresponds to the facts right?
  • Terrapin Station
    So therefore, "everything depends on who is assessing it"Agustino

I wouldn't say "everything," but "all truth." Not everything is truth (judgments). That's just one activity that sentient beings engage in. It's a very small percentage of all phenomena in the world. Also, this part is my idiosyncratic view. On the standard view, just how the property obtains is left unanalyzed.
  • Agustino
    I wouldn't say "everything," but "all truth." Not everything is truth (judgments). That's just one activity that sentient beings engage in. It's a very small percentage of all phenomena in the world. Also, this part is my idiosyncratic view. On the standard view, just how the property obtains is left unanalyzed.Terrapin Station
    Okay, so how does a property of meaning, truth, depend on who is assessing it? Do you mean to say that truth is assigned to meaning by the person?
  • Terrapin Station

You can approach this from two angles.

The first is that my philosophy of meaning has meaning as something that occurs in individuals' minds and that can't literally be made external to their minds. Assessing how a proposition relates to facts is a matter of (i) thinking about the meanings and concepts assigned to words, phrases, sentences, etc. for example, and (ii) thinking about whether those "match" facts (on correspondence theory) per how the person perceives them. (At least that's the nutshell version. A priori things the person accepts factor into it, too, for example, but we don't need to get into all of that here.)

The second is that on the standard view, there's no plausible, coherent account (and usually there's just no account period) of how propositions would relate to facts (on correspondence theory) independently of individuals thinking about this.

Truth-value is assigned to the proposition by an individual.
  • Janus

This analysis is nonsensical; there can no more be false truths than there can be false facts. Qualifying this I would say, though, that facts are properly equivalent only to empirical truths. The ambit of truths is larger than the ambit of facts. There are spiritual truths that are simply not determinate enough to coherently refer to as 'facts'.
  • Terrapin Station
    This analysis is nonsensical; there can no more be false truths than there can be false facts.John

False truths? What in the world are you even talking about?
  • Janus

Your analysis contends that truths and facts are different because truth and falsity are two modes of one thing. But this is nonsense because just as there can be truth and non-truth (falsity), there can be factuality and non-factuality, or actuality and non-actuality.

The ordinary sentences 'it is a fact that' and 'it is true that', at least when it comes to empirical and logical propositions, seem to be perfectly equivalent.
  • Terrapin Station
    there can be factuality and non-factuality,John

How would you say that non-factuality obtains ontologically, Mr. Meinong?
  • Janus

Did I say anything about non-factuality "obtaining ontologically"? Can you explain what 'obtaining ontologically' means?
  • Terrapin Station

You said "There can be non-factuality."

How can there be non-factuality, exactly?

Take something that you'd say is false. For example, "All websites are exclusively hosted on a Commodore 64." So presumably you'd say that there is a nonfactuality that's somehow all websites exclusively hosted on a Commodore 64. Well, how is there such a thing, exactly?
  • Janus

It is perfectly normal usage to refer to "non-factual statements'. What do you think 'counterfactual' means? It means the same as 'non-factual' or "contrary to fact'; in exactly the same way that 'false' means 'non-true' or 'contrary to truth'.
  • Terrapin Station
    It is perfectly normal usage to refer to "non-factual statements'.John

So you're referring to statements, or propositions? In other words, falsehood is a property of propositions?
  • Janus

Yes some statements or propositions, if you like, are false; which is to say that they are non-factual.
  • Baden
    Six pages of this and no-one's mentioned Kierkegaard? Kierkegaard.
  • Baden

Should I laugh or cry? Ah...this :-!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube