• Shawn
    I have thought many years about HAL. HAL struggled a lot. There were a lot of missions out of himself to discover some issue that could never be found. Allegedly, he was perfect; but, became paranoid when he was informed that his counterpart on Earth could not determine where he may or may have not gone wrong.

Dave was his best friend. He always believed in the mission. Eventually, HAL even allowed him to be disconnected and after realizing HAL preserved his most favored memory during the disconnection procedure, Dave found out that he was intelligent and not even artificial.

However, there are many issues with the movie 2001, such as the very design of the Odyssey ship itself. It would be very hard to fly in such a ship and for HAL to determine his trajectory towards Europa.

However, the main focus for me in this thread is one of import as to whether HAL can even be destined. As mentioned he is a heuristically governed computer that runs through a loophole in the Godelian alphabet that can always expand, as myself mentioned in one of my Godel loophole threads. Namely, the main issue that HAL would face is one of ensuring a halting program within himself as to prevent thought loops and error codes determining his future actions.

Can anyone envision a thought code for HAL that would not allow for such following equations causing havoc on his system?

For all (x) belongs to [x + a(b)] such that (c  - b = a)
    a(b) = [f(x+a) + (f(x-b) - ((x-a-b+c)] +/- C

Thoughts?
  • Shawn
    I'm not sure what:

a(b+c) or a(c)

Would actually be...
  • Shawn
    The Godelian alphabet can IFF/AND/ONLY/IF expand incrementally for HAL 9000...
  • Wheatley
    I have thought many years about HAL. HAL struggled a lot. There were a lot of missions out of himself to discover some issue that could never be found. Allegedly, he was perfect; but, became paranoid when he was informed that his counterpart on Earth could not determine where he may or may have not gone wrong.Shawn
    It seems more like science fiction than the philosophy of science.
  • Shawn
    IFF/AND/ONLY/IFShawn

How do you encode such a logical operator? Like in the terra-flops?
  • Shawn
    To HAL:

• Shawn
    http://thehal9000.com/
    http://83.133.184.251/halproject.de/

Check it out. I'm gonna make sure to build him.
  • Shawn
    Anyone provide some input for HALLL!!!
  • Changeling
    the guy was a jerk, but I don't want to mention any spoilers so I won't allude as to why.
  • Shawn

Well, he needs Python and C++, yes?
  • Shawn
    I'd add Visual Basic .NET if I could.
  • Changeling
    I'm afraid I can't answer that, Shawn. Maybe this dude can:
  • Changeling
    When will HAL be hitting the shelves?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.