• Mikie
    I'd like to get a sense of where people are (currently) at on this forum.
    1. How are you planning on voting -- if at all? (66 votes)
        Donald Trump
        15%
        Joe Biden
        38%
        Third Party
        17%
        Write-in
          5%
        Not voting
        26%
  • 180 Proof
    How are you planning on voting -- if at all?Xtrix
    I'm registered to vote in a reddish safe state, so most probably I'll vote "third party" like always (except in 2008).
  • jgill
    Not a good idea for a thread IMO.
  • Mikie
    I'm registered to vote in a reddish safe state, so most probably I'll vote "third party" like always (except in 2008).180 Proof

Makes sense I suppose.
  • Mikie
    Not a good idea for a thread IMO.jgill

Then it's a good thing no one asked you for your opinion about the thread. If you don't like it, don't vote and don't comment.
  • jgill
    and don't comment.Xtrix

I wasn't aware there is a rule about commenting. Seems peculiar for a forum like this one. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.

Your comment on the other thread: "Interesting to read this thread, watching people gradually convincing themselves, once again, to elect Trump"
  • Mikie
    I wasn't aware there is a rule about commenting.jgill

There is no such "rule." But showing up just to announce you "don't think this thread is a good idea" is completely pointless. Generally grown adults keep non-constructive comments like that to themselves and simply move on.

Not every opinion needs to be declared. This isn't Twitter.
  • tim wood
    To each his own on preferences for self-punishment, but for the rest of us please consider voting for Biden anyway and meeting your needs, say, by snapping a rubber band on your wrist.
  • 180 Proof
    Why 'waste my vote' on Biden when he cannot win my resident state (Georgia)? :yawn:
  • h060tu
    If I get my stimulus check, I'll vote for Trump. Otherwise, not worth voting.
  • Baden
    Biden has been credibly accused of sexual assault. No progressive who cares about women's rights should vote for him until a proper investigation is carried out. Period. And any who do are massive hypocrites.
  • Benkei
    I've voted as well as if I could. I voted third party.
  • bert1
    Isn't he still the better of two evils?
  • Benkei
    Brilliant system that manages to offer two evil options two elections in a row!
  • Baden

You don't have to vote for evil. You need to get your head around that.
  • Benkei
    can't we get you to move to the Netherlands or something? You'd be a welcome addition to our wonderfully flat country.
  • ssu
    Isn't sexually harassing women a precondition to be a president of the US? I guess for American male politicians, who typically are quite old, it's important to show to be virile.

clinton-impeachment-OTD.jpg

8adbebbcc057e4469cc72680bd2f2f38
  • bert1
    It's a really horrible situation. I can't see any non-evil practical choices though.
  • Baden

So you vote third party or you don't vote. Very simple.
  • bert1
    A third party might make sense in some situations. But isn't not voting also an evil choice? Not voting affects the numbers.
  • Baden

The right to vote includes the right not to vote. And the right not to vote becomes not just morally acceptable but morally obligatory if your choice is between two rapists. Luckily, there are always third party options.
  • bert1
    Maybe. It's not just about rape though. It's about things like climate change, which is more important.
  • Baden

Probably the only good thing about Dubya was he wasn't a rapist. Far as I know. But yeah it's at least 50/50.
  • Baden

New Dem campaign slogan "Some things are more important than rape. Vote Biden".

:up:
  • bert1
    :) Desperate times I guess.
  • 180 Proof
    :cool:

'Swing state' voters MUST vote for the lesser of two rapists: Joe Biden. (I definitely would.) I'm not convinced, however, that he will be the Democratic nominee ... Plenty of time for Gavin Newsome, Gretchen Witmer, Andrew Cuomo or someone else (but for fartin' fuck's sake NOT Shillary!) who hasn't already campaigned & dropped-out to be recruited / dragooned into cleaning-up tRump's disasters. :mask:
  • ssu
    Plenty of time for Gavin Newsome, Gretchen Witmer, Andrew Cuomo or someone else (but for fartin' fuck's sake NOT Shillary!) who hasn't already campaigned & dropped-out to be recruited / dragooned into cleaning-up tRump's disasters.180 Proof
    In your dreams.

That would mean that the DNC would a) admit their failure, b) make dramatic changes and c) take risks. The geriatric leadership of the DNC will follow their selected path with Biden while patting themselves on the back just how easily they avoided Bernie being a problem.

Hence the last thing is to hope that they pick a good vice-presidential candidate. When President Biden has to take a "sick leave".
  • tim wood
    I can't remember if you're American or not - not that it matters especially. But we have to make a choice. Period. If you are, you have to. If not, then you can put yourself into our position. If you understand the imperative underside of the kind of "democracy" we have, then you understand that not voting, or casting a vote for someone who cannot win, thus possibly in effect voting for the worse candidate, is a statement of ignorance about our system. In theory and even in practice our system of primaries is where the sorting occurs. The general election is the choice between what's left. If the bad guys got through the primaries - and God help us all they did! - then that is a plain indictment of our system. But there is still the choice that has to be made. So who do you vote for? The better or the worse? If you think you realistically have other options that are in themselves a responsible exercise of your franchise, you're mistaken. (The time for that responsible exercise having been earlier.)
  • Mikie

Yes, by voting your conscience like you logically pure humanists. So admirable. Get Trump elected -- but that's beside the point. Biden is just as "evil."
  • Mikie
    So you vote third party or you don't vote. Very simple.Baden

Yes, very simple: help re-elect Trump, clearly the most evil and most damaging. And why? Because a) it'll make you feel better about yourself, b) Biden is just as bad, or c) Biden is the lesser of the two evils but we don't care about that.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.