• DingoJones

Neither polytheism nor pantheism, as I understand them, are anti-theistic; rather, they are thematic variations on theism. At most, they're anti-MONOtheistic; but monotheism is only one branch among many of that old burning bush, and very much an almighty-come-lately in the history of divine conceptions.180 Proof

Well now I agree with you. Good point.
  • DingoJones

Well I still disagree with that other thing you said lol
  • TheMadFool
    Neither polytheism nor pantheism, as I understand them, are anti-theistic; rather, they are thematic variations on theism. At most, they're anti-MONOtheistic; but monotheism is only one branch among many theistic branches that make up that old-time "burning bush", and very much, besides, an "almighty"-come-lately in the history of divine conceptions.180 Proof

:ok:
  • TheMadFool
    I think you got yourself a good point for once (:wink: )DingoJones

:grin:
  • DingoJones

I waa referencing my first post that disagreed an anti theist must be an atheist as well. Then you made a second post to Fool which I agreed with but those were to separate points. Sorry, I could have made that clearer.
  • 180 Proof
    I previously addressed your objection finding it unphilosophical. Do you disagree with my reply? Do tell.
  • DingoJones

I didnt see that, did you add it after the initial post to Fool? i didnt get an alert to that one.
    Ok, so yes I disagree. First, anti-theism is not always hatred. It was just one example of an anti-theist (just to be clear). Second, even if hatred was definitive of anti-theism that hatred doesnt only take the form of satanism and therefore cannot be classified as “faith” (which Im not sure satanism even requires).
    No sir, I think that one can have perfectly philosophical reasons for hatred and other negative feelings towards theism.
    Also, even if I conceded your point above it still wouldn't refute what I originally said about an anti-theist not being an atheist. It would just be a separate point about the philosophical validity of hating something.
  • 180 Proof
    Well, our disagreements remain.
  • DingoJones

Right, we are discussing where we disagree. I directly addressed what you said and then pointed out how your rebuttals failed. If I got something wrong, then tell me how.
  • 180 Proof
    I'm not clear on what you mean by "anti-theism", DJ, especially when you say it doesn't entail atheism. What are the grounds, or reasons, a "theist" would have for rejecting "theism" (or her 'theistic deity' ... rather than some other 'theistic deity', which would be atheism with respect to that particular 'theistic deity').
  • DingoJones

I dont know if we are talking past each other or what...lets start from the beginning.
    Atheism is about whether or not god exists, anti-theism is about opposing religion or believers/theistic beliefs about god.
    Do you accept that distinction?
  • 180 Proof
    I dont know if we are talking past each other or what...lets start from the beginning.
    Atheism is about whether or not god exists, anti-theism is about opposing religion or believers/theistic beliefs about god.
    Do you accept that distinction?
    DingoJones
    Not quite: I use both terms conceptually (not colloquially) as second-order (meta) statements in which each, one general and the other specific, addresses - tests - first-order (object) statements about g/G (re: theism):

Anti-theism "opposes theistic beliefs" only insofar as it's demonstrated that theism is not true.

A-theism claims that (some or all) specific 'deity exists' claims of theism are not true.

(NB: "opposing religion" = irreligion)
  • Frank Apisa
    "Atheism is simply the absence of belief in gods; anti-theism is a conscious and deliberate opposition to theism ."Baden

My experience indicates that anyone and everyone who uses the word "atheist" to describe him/herself...REGARDLESS OF HOW IT IS DEFINED IN SOME DICTIONARIES...either "believes" that there are no gods or "believes" it is more likely that there are no gods than that there is at least one.

The notion that "atheism" is simply "the absence of belief" is an absurdity...a fraud atheists attempt to perpetrate on everyone else in an attempt to pretend their "atheism" is not the product of BELIEF.

Both religion and atheism have "belief" (guesses about the unknown) at their core.
  • DingoJones

Well those are idiosyncratic definitions of anti-theism and irreligion, but ok.
    So “anti-theism” is only opposed to theistic beliefs when its “atheism”? That seems to be the consequence of your usage described above.
    So what do you call someone who is not an atheist, but opposes religion?
  • 180 Proof
    So what do you call someone who is not an atheist, but opposes religion?DingoJones
    Irreligious.
  • DingoJones

“irreligious” includes opposing religion, not knowing religion and not choosing a religion. Its not specific to opposing religion, the same way the word “human” isn't specific to what we call a human that practices medicine. That would be a doctor. If you want to be specific about a person opposing religion, anti-theist is the word youre looking for.
  • Pinprick
    You're mistaken. E.g. (JCI) monotheists are atheists with respect to "other gods" (e.g. Olympian Pantheon, Nordic Sagas, Hindu Vedas, Indigenous tribal totems, etc).180 Proof

Yeah, I realize this. I should have said can apply across the board.

No. Holding 'simultaneously' that both theism and anti-theism are 'true' is contradictory. As Wolfman & Wayfarer point out (above), the 'apparent inconsistency' (of (e.g.) Daoist pandeism (or pantheism?) combined with worship of local deities + ancester veneration) is only apparent and quite pragmatic, or non-binary - different 'objects of hope' for addressing different 'modes of fear' - in terms of cultural (traditional) context.180 Proof

I took their posts to just refer to behavior, which doesn’t necessarily correlate to belief. What concept(s) of God they worship, pray to, revere, etc. can be different than the one that they actually believe in. This is similar to Atheists celebrating Christmas. Either way, holding both beliefs “simultaneously” is what I meant.
  • Pinprick
    Neither polytheism nor pantheism, as I understand them, are anti-theistic180 Proof

But, a Polytheist or Pantheist could be an Antitheist if they disagreed with the Theistic conception of God and had some animosity towards Theism in general, right?
  • DingoJones

No, polytheist and pantheist are types of theism so that wouldnt make any sense. Im not sure, but I would guess there are words for animosity towards specific types of theism aimed from others theisms. Like, Anti-Christian or anti-pantheist.
  • Pinprick
    So you disagree with this?

It seems it's possible to be a theist and yet an antitheist for the latter is defined as an active opposition to god. An atheist being an antitheist is natural evolution doing its thing but a theist who is an antitheist is someone who must hold that god does more harm than good, something not too outlandish if one looks at all the atrocious acts being committed in his name.TheMadFool
  • DingoJones

What does that have to do with what I said?
  • Pinprick
    If you’re claiming that polytheists and pantheists are incapable of being antitheists because they are types of Theism, then you’re disagreeing with the first sentence in Fool’s quote above.
  • DingoJones

I get that, but so what? Whats the relevance of whether I agree with the first sentence in someone else's post? I actually think there are a lot off errors in that quote from Fool, but I would bring that up with him not you, right? I was disagreeing with the statement you made

But, a Polytheist or Pantheist could be an Antitheist if they disagreed with the Theistic conception of God and had some animosity towards Theism in general, right?Pinprick

Sorry, I should have used the quote feature in that post. I assumed it would be clear since it was the very next post made on the thread.
  • 180 Proof
    “irreligious” includes opposing religion, not knowing religion and not choosing a religion. Its not specific to opposing religion ...DingoJones
    Well, if it "includes opposing religion, irreligious is good enough for me.

As for "not knowing religion", that's just ignorance (in a social context which contains religion/s). And "not choosing a religion" is nothing but natality - almost every human being, certaintly in the last 40-50 centuries, was born into a religion s/he didn't "choose a religion". I don't see irreligious, DJ, being so uselessly broad ...

Perhaps a more precise term, more explicitly ideological, such as Anarchic (or anarchistic) a motto of which being "No Gods, No Masters" referring to abolition - not just mere "separation" (thereby mystifying 'the inseparable duopoly' - of Church ("altar" / sacred hierarchy) & State ("throne" / sovereign force)? :smirk:
  • DingoJones

Well its a broad term that you are incorrectly using specifically. Like in my human/doctor analogy.
    Anyway, you’ve jumped to the word irreligious now, and that bit at the end. What does any of that have to do with this? You lost me.
  • Pinprick
    I get that, but so what? Whats the relevance of whether I agree with the first sentence in someone else's post? I actually think there are a lot off errors in that quote from Fool, but I would bring that up with him not you, right? I was disagreeing with the statement you madeDingoJones

Because I’m making the same argument as him, only more specific. His post was in reference to Theism in general, whereas mine was referring to particular types of Theism (Polytheism and Pantheism).
  • DingoJones

Ok, but Im not going to argue with Fool with you as a proxy. I'm talking to you about what you said.
  • Pinprick
    Well, I’m not asking you to, but ok. Could you explain why a Pantheist or a Polytheist couldn’t also be an Antitheist? I don’t see why either one couldn’t believe their respective conceptions of God and come to the conclusion that God, as they define him/it, is bad and should be opposed.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.