• Punshhh
    Have an insincere apology with your data. Mix it with the news that care homes can only test 5 people (Most carers move between homes) and only when someone has symptoms, and old folks are being encouraged to sign non-resussitation forms and not to expect to be taken to hospital, andI wonder if you are drawn to the conclusion I have reached, that government policy is to spread the virus amongst the old and not treat them.

Yes, this is the hidden policy of the UK government. It kills three birds with one stone, clears out all the geriatrics and health compromised, solves the looming social care funding crisis, and removes the biggest pressure on the health service. "Just get it done"

It clears the way for a rip roaring independent GREAT Britain, Singapore on Thames. This is what those people voted for in December.
  • Benkei
    I just spoke with him. It doesn't work so now they're using it as protective gear for themselves. :-)

More good news: they're pretty sure now (at least in the Netherlands) chloroquine is beneficial during treatment. However, the people coming in for the IC are often also constipated and aren't capable of eating themselves. All the medicines they're already getting have an effect on the QT-interval as does chloroquine. So it's difficult to dose correctly.
  • Benkei
    I never took the tragedy of the commons literally but as a conceptualisation as to how externalisation of costs happen.
  • frank
    More good news: they're pretty sure now (at least in the Netherlands) chloroquine is beneficial during treatment.Benkei

That's a ray of hope. :grin:
  • unenlightened
    Yes, this is the hidden policy of the UK government.Punshhh

It seems rather strange to be accusing my government of genocide.
  • Benkei
    Gross negligence more to your liking?
  • unenlightened
    No, I think genocide is appropriate. They got themselves elected - they cannot be that incompetent, so it must be deliberate not negligent.
  • frank
    They aren't trying to kill you. Snap out of it.
  • unenlightened
    Do you have any evidence of that?

I have some evidence of them not buying ventilators that they were offered, not testing carers and health workers or providing any protection. My daughter, for example, is an OT in a major hospital dealing with the old and disabled extensively with, count it, zero protective equipment and zero testing.

You make it personal, but I am not afraid at all for myself. Snap out of your complacency and condescension; I am not a conspiracy theorist by nature, and generally prefer cock-up theories. But in this case, there are too many consistent cockups, backed up by the words of chief adviser Dominic Cummings to the effect that this is the government policy.
  • frank
    You make it personal,unenlightened

I told you what I'd want you to tell me if...
  • unenlightened
    There is no if. Wake the fuck up! They're not trying to kill me, they are trying to kill a million sick and dependent people to save some money because they are totally depraved and amoral.
  • Punshhh
    I would describe it more as sort of allowed it to happen, looked the other way.

I listened to an interview on radio4 earlier today with a careworker caring for 65 elderly people in a carehome. She said in a calm accepting voice that over two thirds were showing symptoms now and that she has some protection equipment and that there was help available if needed. The assumption was that they would all die peacefully there, rather than waste resources in the local hospital.
    This state of affairs was accepted by the interviewer, an interviewer who wouldn't let such an issue pass her by ordinarily.
  • unenlightened
    Yesterday, they announced 600 emergency hospital beds in the local uni and the local conference centre. Today they announced 30 new ventilators for the whole country. I would be looking the other way too, if I could find another way to look.

I wonder where the staff for those ventilator less beds will come from?
  • Baden

Are you incapable of writing a post without a strawman based on an inability to read simple English? Please just go back to Reddit. You can't cut it here, honestly. You just don't have the capacity.
  • Baden
    the China virusNobeernolife

Try saying that once more and see what happens.
  • Baden
    @StreetlightX Hey, only 3,000 Americans died on 9/11. Fuck all compared to Vietnam. Weird why Americans got upset about it... :chin:

No, can't understand why they're ok with 100,000 dead either. Especially as it did not need to happen. China, 4 times the population, <10% that number of deaths.
  • Nobeernolife
    Are you incapable of writing a post without a strawman based on an inability to read simple English? Please just go back to Reddit. You can't cut it here, honestly. You just don't have the capacity.Baden

Why are you writing in such a vulgar way, and what is "Reddit"?
  • Streetlight
    Considering that 9/11 was used an opportunity to conduct a series of genocidal wars that left millions in the Middle-East in appreciably more wretched conditions and killed even more Americans than died on that day, the current lack of anyone to bomb, invade, and pillage as a response might explain the utter impotence of American leaders who simply lack any other vocaublary of action. Americans will die - have died - as a result. Bitter, tragic irony.
  • Baden
    Can someone explain to @Nobeernolife what a strawman is? I don't feel the ROI potential is there.
  • Nobeernolife
    Can someone explain to Nobeernolife what a strawman is? I don't feel the ROI potential is there.Baden

I know what a strawman is. Strawmen arguments are very common, especially in political discussions. I try to stay away from them.
    However, I do not know what "ROI potential" is, I still do not know why are so rude towards me, and why you write personal messages threatening to kick me out of the forum. Are you the site moderator?
  • Baden

Lol. You got a regular PM warning for using a term with xenophobic/racist connotations.
  • boethius
    Can someone explain to Nobeernolife what a strawman is? I don't feel the ROI potential is there.Baden

I think you already answered your own question:

Are you incapable of writing a post without a strawman based on an inability to read simple English? Please just go back to Reddit. You can't cut it here, honestly. You just don't have the capacity.Baden

The premise that having Trump supporters around to represent what their cult is saying at any given time is now just wasting everyone's time now. Nobeernolife's goal is clearly to just demonstrate to other Trump trolls that there is a troll posted here and dilute debate so it loses it's edge and potency, and so no need for any Trump supporter to worry.

These are serious topics, and I would submit it's more important than ever, in a time of crisis, to arrive at a lucid synthesis quickly, without bad faith distractions. The whole point of this forum is to arrive at a higher discursive quality than can be found elsewhere on the internet, which does require quality control. Nobeernolife has tried to use more sophisticated trolling tactics which do provide some entertainment value and, over a short period of time, some value in analyzing such tactics as a sort of living propaganda specimen. But, when bad faith can no longer be plausibly denied, there should be no fear that trolls doth protest too much, in doing the right thing.
  • Baden

Copied to mod thread for discussion. Now let's get back on topic.
  • I like sushi
    Yeah, ‘China virus’ doesn’t really help the discussion. Especially when discussing with some of the folks in this forum.

I’ve no idea why you’re being treated like a villain either (other than the above ‘China virus’ remark - kind of silly in hindsight I’m sure you’ll admit?).

I assume they think you’re an easy target. It’s up to you to show otherwise.

Tip: If you see emotions spilling over the best advice I can give to you is go silent and ignore the bait - people don’t like being wrong and to others it is quite clear what is over emotional drivel and ranting.

Note: Mods here are certainly not all cut from the same cloth! Some are more belligerent than other though depending on how the wind blows - but hey, who isn’t? :)
  • I like sushi
    I just looked back to page 75 and see nothing (other than the crass ‘China virus’ comment) that warrants this vitriolic attack.

I did see Baden being Baden - avoiding answering questions, trying to befuddle and doing their best to infuriate others in order to turn around and accuse them of childish behavior.

Note: Someone mocking Trump’s ability to count probably isn’t all that enamored by him. Did you spot Nobeer making that remark?

Frankly I find it appalling that a number of people stuck at home may actually think ‘maybe a philosophy forum could inform me a little - instead they find the usual Trumpfest (be it pro or con). Guys! The world doesn’t really give a fuck at the moment so take it to the dedicated Trump thread perhaps?
  • boethius
    I just looked back to page 75 and see nothing (other than the crass ‘China virus’ comment) that warrants this vitriolic attackI like sushi

What's vitriolic?
  • Baden

I apologise for befuddling, nobeer. I didn't have an evil plan in mind, but I'll try to be more restrained the next time. On this thread anyway.
  • DingoJones

Amen Sushi. Unfortunately the TDS is going to get worse before it gets better. (On both sides btw, I see TDS on both sides, constantly.)

There is still so much mixed messaging about this virus, and this strange defiance of “freedom over life” and “id rather die than destroy the country by not working” is pretty infuriating. People are just so fucking stupid. There are hidden triggers people have so that even the most reasonably offered request will be dismissed because of some so and so news source or medical advice.
    Whats especially baffling to me is how over and over, and with the virus now as well, is how when we have very solid, very well known information on whats happened elsewhere (like with Covid and Italy for example) and yet we continue to play put the exact same procedures. Religion, politics and now with this virus, too many people just flat out refuse to learn from history or in the case of Covid 19 from actual, fresh current events.
  • frank
    what is "Reddit"?Nobeernolife

They have a bunch of different groups. The critical theory group is doing a reading of a Lefebvre work on Hegel, Marx, and Nietzsche, for instance. They're quite a bit more hard core than our collection of kindergartners and sophists. :)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.