• Streetlight
    Stop right there.

That is Trump and the people that want to lick his ass. That isn't the elite.
    ssu

What is wrong with you? He's the president of the United States. "Isn't the elite"? Jesus fuck on a stick. Did your brains fall out as soon as you started typing the word 'Trump'? Why does his name turn everyone into an irrepressible moron?
  • Galuchat
    I don't know, who profits?unenlightened
    If you don't know, I'm definitely not voting for you.
    At least Gordon knows who profits.
  • Baden

We might be in for some informed decisions for a change.
  • Streetlight
    I hope BoJo recovers, but I also hope he suffers to the utmost before he does. May prompt him to take it seriously.
  • Baden
    There is a God.unenlightened

A deeply religious notion. God...Hanover

Yes, but maybe not the God you think.

Jesus fuck on a stick.StreetlightX

Some Gods are funkier than others.
  • Hanover
    I hope BoJo recovers, but I also hope he suffers to the utmost before he does. May prompt him to take it seriously.StreetlightX

Everyone has grown so religious as of late, now even showing compassion for one's opponents coupled with a respect that struggle is a necessary component for growth. I do like what I see here, and am encouraged in a cautious way by this coronavirus in bringing forth positive change.
  • Hanover
    Jesus fuck on a stick.
    — StreetlightX

Some Gods are funkier than others.
    Baden

We should have expected the former messiah to have been sexually modest, so I'm not sure if he would have accepted penetration from a stick (or an animate object either), but I did not know him so can't speak to his predilections, but, in any event, I am not one to judge, lest I be judged, or so he said.
  • ssu
    What is wrong with you? He's the president of the United States. Jesus fuck on a stick. Did your brains fall out as soon as you started typing the word 'Trump'? Why does his name turn everyone into an irrepressible moron?StreetlightX
    I think it's the contrary.
  • Hanover
    With the current assessment of Trump as being a shit for brains fucktard through this crisis, does anyone think Hillary would have done much better, or do you think she would have been a sloppy dripping fuck hole? And if Biden's elected, will he rise to the occasion, or do you expect him to drop a turd while standing naked at the podium while asking where his pants went?
  • Streetlight
    And if Biden's elected, will he rise to the occasion, or do you expect him to drop a turd while standing naked at the podium while asking where his pants went?Hanover

I'm pretty sure he's MIA right now precisely because of the latter.

Hillary might have tried to pay CV off and appoint it to a board somewhere.
  • Relativist
    Yes, she probably would have done better. Consider Trump's various failures:

In a National Emergency, Presidential Competence Is Crucial
  • ssu

Fair question.

Of course, you would have suffered for years now of Hillary Derangement Syndrome (HDS) and the country would be as polarized and hateful as now. Hillary's action would have been likely more in the line of let's say other OECD countries like the UK or France etc. The weaknesses of the health care system would still be obvious.

Because it's very unlikely that Hillary would have gone all "Chinese" and truly taken drastic measures of shelter-in the and quarantine of the whole country before this time at least. Likely a Hillary administration would have followed the steps of how Obama tackled the ebola-pandemic only to understand that this is something bigger. Perhaps now a country-wide lockdown would be implemented. Likely national state of emergency would have been called weeks earlier (perhaps in the start of this month, not on the 13th) and all the precautions done during the Obama years would be used. That famous organization for pandemics that Trump dissolved would have been leading the fight. Likely the respirator and PPC shortage would be there, but the National Procurement Act would have been enacted already. There would be more testing and perhaps New York would have gotten few days if not a week more time to prepare for what is now unfolding. So I guess that means less dead New Yorkers.

The stimulus package would be more difficult to push through, because the Republicans would be outraged about the size of the package and would be terrified of the "socialization" of the US and would be reminding about the deficit. And of course you wouldn't notice anything different, because the Republicans and Trump on his TV show would be hollering on top of their lungs how badly Clinton is doing this and what a fiasco this all has been. Republicans would be really eager to make Hillary a one term President and just waiting for the elections.

So my answer: In the end fewer dead Americans due to the pandemic. Perhaps -10%.

And NOS4A2 and Streetlight X and Maw would be making similar arguments as they are doing now.
  • NOS4A2

A red herring.

I was merely sourcing the quote.
  • NOS4A2

And NOS4A2 and Streetlight X and Maw would be making similar arguments as they are doing now.

And you’d be still spinning counterfactual fantasies about parallel universes where Hillary won the 2016 election.
  • Anthony
    There's been a little over 1000 deaths in the US, 25,000 globally. More people probably die from sneezures (sneeze seizures).

It's as though people came to understand only yesterday the concept of getting sick. Weak people die from getting sick, fit people don't. It's natural selection (not anthropogenic selection). Heart disease and cancer, diseases of modernity, are more of a plague than contagious disease; why no propaganda for them, or doctors (iatrogenic illness) being the third leading cause of death? I'd rather die from a natural cause than undue stress related to mechanical lifestyle of technoindustrialism (the most prodigious killer of all time).

Don't forget, when this blows over, to deeply criticize the aspects of group behavior which made you contribute to a 66 page thread on Coronavirus, and not one on(Coronavirus) Mass Hysteria.

The primary generative order of the human system (aka - an outsized organization) is mania and hysteria, suggestion, conformity, hypnotic induction of popular mind...interminable belief in what doesn't exist, often spurred by appeal to authority (in our time, mainly science: CDC, WHO, NIH, etc.) or argumentum ad populum. It doesn't appear it will ever change.

Also, as usual, technological determinism has a central place in causing or augmenting disaster. Transportation tech. is a vector as much as the protein coating of the viral DNA itself. Insinuation of panic, and its family of irrationality percolating through the primal horde, can be blamed on telecom.

"You can get sick...You can get sick." Shout it from the rooftops.
  • unenlightened
    Yeah everybody dies, what's the fuss? Everybody's intelligence is limited, why go on about leaders? Shout it from the rooftops, I'm an uncaring genius ... I'm an uncaring genius.
  • ssu

Don't care much about the 2016 election, just as I don't care of the 2012 election. It's history.

Just answering Hanovers question.
  • NOS4A2

I was only taking the piss. I assumed you were doing the same.
  • Baden

Well, I just took a shit and named it after your President. If the covid gets him, I suggest you run that. It would have a fighting chance against Biden.
  • Baden
    I'd rather die from a natural causeAnthony

Please do so before posting again.
  • Hanover
    I had a chance to do some research into your family tree, and note that when the first wave of European immigrant trash found its way to Ellis Island, there were a good number of Joseph Badens on the original ship entry logs. It seems they were fleeing Ireland for sheep fucking. When they exited the ship, the guy who logged them into the US misunderstood them due to their missing dental work and wrote down Biden.

So now we know that Joe Biden is a sheep fucking cousin of yours. I didn't know if you knew that.
  • BC
    Weak people die from getting sick, fit people don'tAnthony

The cemeteries are well stocked with bodies that were strong, fit, and good looking just before they encountered the fatal bacteria or virus that put them in their grave. The 1918 influenza epidemic was most often fatal for young people, 20-40 years of age, most of them fit workers or soldiers. Infectious diseases were the leading cause of death, up to roughly 1945, when antibiotics started to roll back infection. As we waste our antibiotic resources in various ways (like feeding them to cattle to make them grow faster), we are working back to the time when infectious disease will be king,
  • Anthony
    Thanks. So kind. I will practice social distancing ...from you...for instantaneous improvement in mental health.
  • Anthony
    No argument. Innate immunity is the real badass though, guided by smart decision making (avoiding urban sprawl/overcrowded milieu- such as any and all cities -as a lifestyle choice). The likelihood of getting mental and physical disease is increased manifold in the city. If you have intelligent immunity and are self-reliant enough to feed yourself, and semi-socially isolated (sensible in an increasingly sick human system), you have a better shot of health in general; so saith an admitted loner. Not that I'm opposed to vaccines or antibiotics, though, especially if you have microbes eating the amino acids in an open wound; antibiotic resistance can make an infection worse...but yeah, they've obviously helped overall. Sugar works in open wounds, gives the little beasts a saccharide fix instead of flesh.
  • NOS4A2
    Yesterday I saw what to me was an appalling sight. An elderly woman was walking in the rain with groceries, while able-bodied people were crossing the street to avoid her. This seemed absurd to me. So I did the unthinkable and asked if she needed a hand. She didn't need my help, apparently, but the smile was enough for me to know that my acknowledgment at least meant something to her.

Then I came across the story out of Spain of the corpses of elderly patients found abandoned in their care homes, left to die alone in their twilight days.

I cannot help but think and feel that we are doing something wrong here.
  • praxis
    Yesterday I saw what to me was an appalling sight. An elderly woman was walking in the rain with groceries, while able-bodied people were crossing the street to avoid her. This seemed absurd to me. So I did the unthinkable and asked if she needed a hand. She didn't need my help, apparently, but the smile was enough for me to know that my acknowledgment at least meant something to her.NOS4A2

If you were close enough perhaps you transferred the virus to her, and her being elderly essentially killed her. Good going, a-hole.
  • NOS4A2

If you were close enough perhaps you transferred the virus to her, and her being elderly essentially killed her. Good going, a-hole.

I don't have a cold enough heart to abandon the elderly during this time. I suspect it's quite easy for you; you've probably been doing it your entire life.
  • Relativist
    As we waste our antibiotic resources in various ways (like feeding them to cattle to make them grow faster)Bitter Crank
    Antibiotics are manufactured in sufficient quantity to meet demand. If they were not fed to cattle, less would be manufactured.
  • praxis

I was half kidding. The fact is that the dynamics of good-samaritanship have changed. If you want to help the elderly you need to protect them from yourself by wearing gloves, a facemask, etc. You could potentially kill with the best intentions, but poor foresight.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.