• Shawn
    I used to be an avid supporter of Elon Musk's plan to link up humanity to be able to cope with the advent of AI. His plan is to install electrodes within one's brain to increase the bandwidth factor significantly between humans. The official name for it is Neuralace.

On face value this might sound awesome in terms of curing possibly depression and other mental disorders. As I personally have my own issues with depression and need for other stronger medications to curb my episodes, I still am weary of having my brain altered to such an extent.

I don't think the future of humanity should be Borg-like in nature. Psychologically, people could end up quite f*cked up with instant communication between brains. The best analogy I can come up with is having all ego-boundaries dissolved for the sake of instant communication. Is this something anyone would want? A sort of dystopian future, where people are hooked up together and any occurrence of a loss of loved one would leave the mind of the partner in total misery?

I'm interested to hear other thoughts about the downsides of having one's mind automatically set on some default normalization, which nobody has any idea what that norm would look like...?
  • Echarmion

You seem to be mixing two different ideas here. One is (high-bandwith) brain-machine interfaces, the other is some kind of "normalisation" of brain function. Could you explain why you think one is connected, or might lead to, the other?

The first thing to point out when talking about brain-machine interfaces is that we're already using them. Just with our bodies as an additional interface. Some of these interfaces (smartphones) have already had significant effects on our behaviour and psyche.
  • Gnomon
    I'm interested to hear other thoughts about the downsides of having one's mind automatically set on some default normalization, which nobody has any idea what that norm would look like...?Shawn
    A Borg-like future for humanity may be possible, but not inevitable. It's an option that could be accepted or rejected based on communal values. Unless, of course, mental collectivization is imposed on the majority by a few committed communists. :gasp:

As Echarmion pointed-out, Musk has envisioned a near-future technology, which will replace the mouse
    as our interface with computers. But that could be interpreted by technophobes as a step on the slippery slope to computers controlling humans. That scary scenario is possible, but right now it's science fiction. So, I wouldn't worry about Musk's little side-project, among all his other sci-fi-sounding ideas. :smile:

"The only thing we have to fear . . . is fear itself" ___FDR
    " . . . and the viral zombie apocalypse." ___Anon
  • Deleteduserrc
    Neuralink is an unequivocally awful idea. That it's considered seriously by anyone is alarming. Any new introduction of tech tows with it, almost without exception, a slew of unforseen problems. This always happens. If you needlessly create a situation where the problems are happening in such a way that it directly affects the brains of people involved, that's....it would be an ethical breach of an order you don't usually see outside of thought experiments and sci-fi. It blows my mind that some people ( a lot of smart people, in fact) support this.
  • Shawn

Pretty much. I kinda weighed the risks, and think that it would be good for schizophrenia, depression, and such.

But! The underlying rationale is downright idiotic. Who cares if AI is faster than us or that we must adapt to it? I'm fine with my bandwidth as it is.
  • Deleteduserrc
    Ah. The question of neuralink and mental health is a complicated one. I suffer from mental health issues so I understand the pressing need for relief. I don't have anything intelligent to say. I guess my sense is that any relief afforded would be offset by the actual thing it is (which plays way too handily into the thought-ruts of psychosis & delusion)
  • Shawn

Man, am I tired of pharma. I want something that can be called a absolute relief from psychiatric issues. Apart from solving that I don't care to communicate in memes or enhance xyz.
  • Deleteduserrc
    I hear you man. Mental illness sucks. I hope you're riding this whole thing out ok. Message me anytime if you want. I've struggled with a lot of mental stuff - I can't promise I can give you good advice, but I can relate at least. In the meantime, stay safe.
  • Shawn

Just be kind to yourself. :fire: :heart:
  • Gnomon
    His plan is to install electrodes within one's brain to increase the bandwidth factor significantly between humans. The official name for it is Neuralace.Shawn
    I think you may have confused the pain-reliever technology Neuralace, with the man-machine interface Neurolink. Neither is intended to treat mental issues such as Depression --- although similar technology may be in the works for that. Neuralace is intended to replace Opium as a pain-reliever of last resort. But that may have a side-effect on the depression of constant pain.

Neuralink is what I thought you were talking about, based on your description. It is intended to allow handicapped people, such as quadriplegics, to control machines with mental effort, rather than their paralyzed hands. Both of these treat physical problems, not mental. I'm sure there are inventors out there who do intend to "increase the bandwidth factor significantly between humans". But such tech is a long way from becoming practical for Borg-like intercommunication. For now, your best mind-link may be your cell phone. :smile:

Neuralink : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuralink

Neuralace : https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/technology/sd-fi-neuralace-medical-sandiego-20181031-story.html

Digital Therapeutics for Depression : https://adaa.org/learn-from-us/from-the-experts/blog-posts/consumer/revolutionizing-depression-treatment-digital

Technological Treatments for Depression : https://secure2.convio.net/dabsa/site/SPageServer/PDF/PageServer?pagename=wellness_depression_emerging_technologies
  • Shawn

Yes, Neuralink, my apologies...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.