• Shawn
    I recently saw a movie called, The Men Who Stare at Goats (2009).

I don't want to spoil the movie for anyone; but, the main theme is that America will go to extremes for the sake of power and domination. The movie takes place in the US and then Iraq, where a reporter is following some notions of a man who was in the Army in regards to a program designed to utilize parapsychology to create a "super-soldier". This "super-soldier" has (supposedly) the ability to utilize brain activity to change or meld reality to his whim.

Now, the normal reaction is, what the fuck, or, is this for real?

Based on some research, the now widely known MK-ULTRA project, and this program called Stargate, it seems apparent that the US will go to whatever end to try and enhance its domination and prolong its hegemony.

During 2016-2018 the CIA released a plethora of declassified documents related to this project Stargate, so if anyone is further interested, then go ahead and do a search for "psychotronics" in the CIA, FOIA reading room.

But, here's the point... Will this incessant need for power and domination ever cease? Even after the fall of the Soviet Union, some of these projects were reactivated under Bush junior.

When will this madness stop?
  • christian2017

I agree with you. It sucks.
  • Shawn
    I agree with you. It sucks.christian2017

It sucks, because it shows America as power-mad and driven to go to no end to exploit whatever facet of humanity towards this goal, or just sucks that we do these things?
  • christian2017

I agree. Globalism and war mongering are big problems.
  • Shawn
    I agree. Globalism and war mongering are big problems.christian2017

What's the issue here, in your view?

That we do these things, is known. But, the why's are never really addressed.
  • ZhouBoTong
    When will this madness stop?Wallows

I don't know. Americans love chants like "we're number 1" and of course "U-S-A! U-S-A!"

Those chants just seem stupid if you aren't at the top.

Seems like pretty good justification for war mongering to me :grimace:
  • Relativist
    It's chauvinism paranoia, and the desire/need for economic growth.

The chauvinism: our way is the best way, and therefore need to encourage everyone else to do it our way. Arguably, our way is better than some others (anyone want to defend totalitarisnism?), and this complicates the analysis.

The paranoia: there are "others" (Russia, jihadists...) who are out to get us, and we need to stop them, by minimizing their influence. Arguably, there ARE some who are out to get us (terrorism occurs), and this also complicates the analysis.

Economic growth: this country depends on economic growth, and this results in our wanting to get stuff cheap, and to wanting to sell our stuff - for which markets are needed.
  • Qwex
    Everyone's living off some alternative.

The world is truly a dark place. To measure society as something good is wrong. We're playing an evil game and there's huge risks involved.

America has been apt. Using the tactics it has used, has sanctified the country.

Innocent folk have died, but beyond empathy that means nothing in war. People die all the time in war so you build a tolerance to death.

Revenge is on the mind of former enemies so I think America and it's tactics are good.

Would you rather be enslaved by ISIS?
  • Frank Apisa
    You seem to be making the assumption that ALL Americans feel the way you are describing.

Yes, there are Ugly Americans (we have one as our president right now) but there are probably as many Americans who want to stop this "we are the greatest" bullshit as there are who want to perpetuate it.

America is still the most diverse country ever to exist on planet Earth...and we have a right to be proud of the amalgam that is our nation.

You ought use a few more "many Americans" or "some Americans" in your screeds, Wallows.
  • Qwex

Yeah you ought never to discriminate all unless very strange circumstances.
  • Shawn
    You ought use a few more "many Americans" or "some Americans" in your screeds, Wallows.Frank Apisa

OK, Frank. That seems fair. Apologies.
  • RegularGuy
    If you replaced “Central” with “Corporate” in “CIA”, then I think you might have a better idea of what this country is all about. America is a business. Don’t be fooled by your disability benefits. America doesn’t care that much about you. Your benefits are a small token of “Sorry we run the world and own everything, but here’s $1000/month because it’s cheaper than keeping you locked up 24/7, and we have a facade to uphold.”
  • Qwex

How do you distinguish other countries any different, literally or ideally?
  • RegularGuy
    Most Americans believe the lies. In a lot of other countries, the citizenry aren’t so naive. That’s the difference.
  • Frank Apisa
    No problem, Wallows. I have the same disdain for the "America is the Greatest" crowd as you.

As many have noted, the more "patriotism" is pushed...the more likely it is to be bullshit.

We do have more than our fair share of phony patriots here in America. And they do seem to be more interested in America dominating the world...rather than being a part of a move toward making the world a better place in which to live.
  • Qwex
    Of course they are(sarcasm).

As a whole they are detested because they have been better. You would be in a similar position. You never sought peace as much until this competition against America. I would have done similar but I would have perfected my culture.

(You'll automatically think ghandi during reading my post. Haha)

I am a good general I think.
  • RegularGuy
    I don’t follow you.
  • RegularGuy
    Are you saying if it weren’t the US policing the world, it would be, say, China? I don’t disagree with this, but don’t you think the American government could do more about poverty, hunger, and healthcare, being the wealthiest country in the history of the planet?
  • Qwex
    I think they do more than that but not in the worst areas it is hard to tackle that feat.

Society is sub-version of good through stupidity. Why would you think too much consumption was good.

We've sent more or so scientists at you. We have given you tools.

We haven't freed the world as you expect us to
  • RegularGuy
    Sure, you can’t make every American’s life great, but you can at least put in an effort. America doesn’t even try that.
  • Qwex

Pathetic, there is the most, lots of charity.
  • RegularGuy
    You’re not serious, are you? I’m not even talking about myself. I’m fine. I used to live in the ghetto for six years. Those people are not fine.
  • Qwex
    we offer people homes from war. We help impovished countries, we aided Japaneze earthquake, etc.

You expect us to make a work.
  • RegularGuy
    We don’t help our own people that much. There are hundreds of thousands of drug overdoses year to year, and that is mainly due to hopelessness. I give a much larger percentage of my net worth to charity each year than the top 1% pay in taxes, let alone what they give in charity. America isn’t charitable. We’re greedy Scrooges.
  • RegularGuy
    :chin: Well, I have bigger fish to fry, anyway.

So, President Trump. Why are you such a whiny little bitch?
  • christian2017

Why do we allow globalism? My assumption is you are asking why do we seek power? I would argue many people desire to live a long life at such a great cost that they will subjugate and restrict their neighbor at any cost. I'm not going to get into overly restrictive zoning laws and such at this point in time.
  • christian2017
    we offer people homes from war. We help impovished countries, we aided Japaneze earthquake, etc.

You expect us to make a work.
    Qwex

Correct. Sub-blue laws and modernized significantly reduced zoning laws would however curb the imposing of our modern globalist and automated society. 50 years ago these weren't issues due to more localization and less (not absent) automation. I understand automation began for the most part with the industrial revolution but it has gotten alot worse.
  • ssu
    I recently saw a movie called, The Men Who State at Goats (2009).Wallows
    The movie is one thing (typo 'stare')

What you should see is the documentary they based the story on!!!

Part of the story angle behind Grant Heslov‘s directorial effort The Men Who Stare at Goats is that the film is based on a true story. Usually I ignore that sort of background when first approaching a movie — I want a film to work on its own merits, rather than as an adaptation or recounting of history — but after the fact it’s always fun to look at the real material that inspired a story. In this case, there is a Channel 4 documentary called The Crazy Rulers of the World, the first episode of which is actually called The Men Who Stare at Goats, which leads to the book of the same name that, in turn, inspired the film.

• Frank Apisa
    I've noticed your questions to others and I am curious.

I am a vet...served in SAC during the 1950's. We were major league bad-asses...the most bad-ass military force ever on planet Earth at that time.

I worked 5 years for the government...at the Social Security Administration. I enjoyed my job...and I performed my duties as efficiently, courteously, and effectively as possible. (I am pretty good at being efficient, courteous, and effective.)

I think Trump has done more damage to our Republic in the last three years than all our foreign enemies combined have over the 250+ years of our existence. I consider him an existential threat to our survival...and, unfortunately, I think he will be re-elected.

I think "globalism" is the only decent way for intelligent beings to go. Parochialism sucks like a black hole.

I think the notion of "earning one's living" is a concept of the past...and simply cannot survive this advanced evolution of the Industrial Age. It must go the way of the dinosaur...and quickly, or we are in very big trouble.

Any thoughts on any of this?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.