• Moliere
    Yeah. I have some drafts thus far, but that's the kind of thing I'm actually focusing on right now with occassionally looking up sources to see where the previous authors came from. But for the most part I'm just trying to improve the brass tacks writing of the thing! :D
  • Pfhorrest
    You might want to link to the particular comic, not just the site:

http://existentialcomics.com/comic/342

Also BertrandRussellInventsAnalyticPhilosophy.png
  • Snakes Alive
    I think any definition that's not historical is not going to cut it. An actual summary of analytic philosophy would be somewhat boring, and would resist cliches about its 'style' or grand narrative pictures, because that's not actually how the world works.

If I tried to give a unified definition, I'd say it's the philosophical movement whose outgrowths roughly mirrored the various personality traits of G E Moore, much in the way Hellenistic philosophy was the movement whose outgrowths roughly mirrors the various personality traits of Socrates.

That stayed on until ~1968, at which point, the 'new analytic philosophy' occurred, which is still going on now – this really has no unifying features, but is more just a cultural zeitgeist, employing a bunch of roughly commensurate formal tools, journals, vocabulary, and the English language.
  • schopenhauer1

The hidden text when you hover over it says:
    "Continental philosophers: Replacing words with math symbols doesn't make it clear, replacing words with new words that I just made up makes things clear." :rofl:

He's got them both dead on.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.