• Gnomon
    Timelessness and spacelessness, is a good default, or baseline. But it is a dead end when it comes to intellectual inquiry.Punshhh
    Yes. That's why I don't claim to have any direct knowledge about Enfernity. For my worldview, It's merely a baseline for everything else. It's the empty-set outside our Reality-set circle (the universe). For the purposes of "intellectual inquiry", it serves as Plato's realm of Ideal Forms.

Enfernity is a limiting assumption, as in a mathematical asymptote or the speed of light, we can approach the boundary of Reality in imagination, but never cross-over. However, by defining the limits of Reality, the not-concept allows us to understand everything we want to know by comparison to the absolute, which is both Zero and Infinity (nothing & ALL) : the brackets within which "we live and move and have our being".

Enfernity : My coinage for eternity-infinity. It's not two things, but a single un-defined state. For philosophical purposes, it's "defined" by putting a negative on everything we know in the real world : not-time, not-space, not-matter. And, since reality is bounded by, and originated in, space & time, we must assume that pre-existence was in non-space/non-time.

Like Plato's Ideality, Enfernity is the limitless Potential from which all Actual things are created. Potential is not-actual, un-realized, un-defined. But, since we experience the existence of "actual, real, and finite" in space-time, we can assume their origin was in a timeless, spaceless state with the power to transform and enform into the things we know.
  • Gnomon
    Edit: by non presentism I actually meant mysticism.Brett
    Presentism is the view that only actual & physical & temporal things exist. A more general term would be Realism. But human discourse has always included abstract concepts that are not actual, or physical, or real in any space-time sense. Is Beauty present? Is Love a thing?

My response to the Either/Or attitude that conflates not-present or un-real with Mysticism is the BothAnd principle, and the notion of Meta-Physics. Mystical and Magical concepts take advantage of the ambiguity of Abstraction to deceive those who are confused about what is Present and what they imagine to be present. In such cases it's good to be a little skeptical, but don't throw-out the Beauty with the Bullsh*t.

BothAnd Principle : http://blog-glossary.enformationism.info/page10.html

Meta-Physics : http://blog-glossary.enformationism.info/page14.html
  • Punshhh
    Yes. That's why I don't claim to have any direct knowledge about Enfernity. For my worldview, It's merely a baseline for everything else. It's the empty-set outside our Reality-set circle (the universe). For the purposes of "intellectual inquiry", it serves as Plato's realm of Ideal Forms.
    Yes, I agree on Enfernity. I would have described the equivalent in my philosophy. For me it is rather like the asymptote you describe, I see it as an event horizon, or meniscus. A horizon where the forms regress to an equivalence of infinity. I appreciate your view of this as a baseline, although for me it is a threashold, or window beyond which are forms of absolute/eternal worlds and beings, rather like the Hindu cosmology.

I also contemplate this threashold present in myself, humanity, all the kingdoms in nature and individual cells for example. So amenable to communion.

Likewise it dovetails nicely into ideas reducing perception of our world to one point in time and space. And is useful in freeing oneself of human conditioning and nature for purposes of contemplation.
  • Qwex
    It doesn't all exist at once.

Otherwise we'd be able to freely access other simulations.

To exit this universe and enter a different simulation, requires a time-change.
12345Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.