• Gregory
    I thought of this issue from a conversation with a Protestant friend of mine. He said that original sin is a physical sin written in our genes. I was raised Catholic so this sounds very Gnostic to me. For Catholics, ugliness is a privation, not a substance. All physical reality has truth in it, says Catholic Aquinas. Now the problem for Catholics is: what about child rape? If this physically good but a privation? What about modern art (which Catholics traditionally hated)? Are the only alternatives Gnosticism and Thomism? What do you think? Thanks
  • god must be atheist
    Gregory, are you a Gregorian by conviction of faith?

You switched topics several times in your post.

Ugliness is not the original sin. first switch.

Substance is not sin.

Privatization is a sin, but not synonymous with sin.

Several switches later:
    Child rape is not physically good (for the child)

Modern art is neither child rape, nor sinfulness

There are other alternatives to explain the logic of the post. They are, in no particular order, but alphabetical, Alzheimers, Confusionism, Dementia, Kaposi's sarcoma, philosopher's stone**, psychosis, schizophrenia, syphillis (advanced stage) and Wittgenstein.

** as in "Excuse me, while I kiss the sky"-- Jimi Hendrix
  • Gregory
    Rude, false, ignorant
  • Gregory
    How would a thomist answer how God sustains ugly things in existence? A clear answer please gmbaa.
  • frank
    How would a thomist answer how God sustains ugly things in existence? A clear answer pleaseGregory

The existence of evil brings about a greater good.
  • Gregory
    Theists don't just say that God allows evil. God sustains the world. So God is right their sustaining the murderer, the rapist, and sexual sinner as they do their acts. I consider this a refutation of classical theism
  • Gnostic Christian Bishop
    He said that original sin is a physical sin written in our genes.Gregory

What sin are we discussing?

Is it one of the capital sins or just a minor sin?

Would it be moral for a god to create us to sin, then punish us forever for just following the nature god put into us?

Regards
    DL
  • Gnostic Christian Bishop
    The existence of evil brings about a greater good.frank

??

How does a rape contribute to the greater good, and if it does, why are there laws against it?

Regards
    DL
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.