• NOS4A2

I don’t doubt the term has gone through changes; I only doubt that the meaning is accurate.
  • frank
    Yes. So that's the racist policies you've had to deal with. Poor thing.
  • NOS4A2

Do you believe a government should enact racial policies?
  • frank
    Do you believe a government should enact racial policies?NOS4A2

Absolutely. Due to my vast inability to do research, I can tell you that Thurgood Marshall talked about the discriminatory aspects of affirmative action. He said that what a young white person should understand is that though AA did disadvantage them in some respects, they were given an advantage at birth.

AA didn't balance the scales. It was just an attempt to jumpstart that process.
  • Baden
    @frank

Who knows when HH will show up. So, might as well give you my own definition I held back earlier. Doubt it differs much from the standard.

Systemic racism is a form of racism that is expressed through the practices of institutions in their interactions with socially dominated racial groups, and that serves to reinforce the dominated status of those groups. Systemic racism may be enshrined in law (e.g. apartheid systems) or it may be a matter of practices/policies involving legal interpretation and/or extralegal actions discriminatively applied by those with discretionary power, direct or indirect, at any level of the system. Examples of systems where systemic racism may apply include justice, education, and health in both their private and state-managed manifestations.
  • NOS4A2

Absolutely. Due to my vast inability to do research, I can tell you that Thurgood Marshall talked about the discriminatory aspects of affirmative action. He said that what a young white person should understand is that though AA did disadvantage them in some respects, they were given an advantage at birth.

AA didn't balance the scales. It was just an attempt to jumpstart that process.

But they still continue. For how long should these policies continue? In a more recent case Judge OConnor and Thomas concludes affirmative action will be illegal in 25 years.

I love Thomas’ dissenting in this particular case. Worth a read.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/02-241.ZX1.html
  • praxis
    That's it. Say hello to Jackson Pollack.frank

You meant abstract expressionism. I wouldn't kill you to do a little learning on your own. :razz:
  • Baden
    Do you believe a government should enact racial policies?NOS4A2

The word "racial" is neutral. It just means pertaining to race. There are good and bad ways to address issues concerning race. So, it means nothing to ask that question unless you specify what policy you mean. And if you're trying to infect the word "racial" in a general sense with the connotations of the word "racist", you're barking up the wrong tree with anyone who understands English.
  • Baden
    I love Thomas’ dissenting in this particular case.NOS4A2

Along with Trump, another great liberal hero of yours, I guess.
  • NOS4A2

The word "racial" is neutral. It just means pertaining to race. There are good and bad ways to address issues concerning race. So, it means nothing to ask that question unless you specify what policy you mean. And if you're trying to infect the word "racial" in a general sense with the connotations of the word "racist", you're barking up the wrong tree with anyone who understands English.

The word “racial” is a descriptive term as well. It describes something, in this case particular government laws and policies. Simple grammar.
  • NOS4A2

Along with Trump, another great liberal hero of yours, I guess.

Another excuse to avoid his arguments I suspect.
  • frank
    Yes, nobody thought we'd be doing it forever.
  • frank
    You meant abstract expressionism. I wouldn't kill you to do a little learning on your own. :razz:praxis

Yea that. Mark Rothko says hi.
  • Baden

No idea what this has to do with my post.

Hardly. But he's unlikely to come here and debate, so you'll have to do.
  • 180 Proof
    Racial policies still exist but in the form of affirmative action.NOS4A2

In America contrary to "racist stereotypes", affirmative action (like welfare programs), has always mostly benefitted white women instead of nonwhite minorities. An easy to find, highly corroborated and reported, fact for any honest, thinking person who's more interested in opposing than ignoring or defending (re: alt-right trolls) the legacies as well as current forms of systemic adverse discrimination (i.e. racism, hetero/sexism, etc).

:up:
  • Chris Hughes
    Nosferatu's a clever alt-right troll. Posing as anti-racist to argue against identity politics and "racial" affirmative action. Very calm, though. Like a psychopath. :scream: Let's tiptoe away. Tschüss, Graf Orlock.
  • NOS4A2

In America contrary to "racist stereotypes", affirmative action (like welfare programs), has always mostly benefitted white women instead of nonwhite minorities. An easy to find, highly corroborated and reported, fact for any honest, thinking person who's more interested in opposing than ignoring or defending (re: alt-right trolls) the legacies as well as current forms of systemic adverse discrimination (i.e. racism, hetero/sexism, etc).

A common argument against racial preferences and affirmative action, besides the unequal treatment, is that they do not help those they are designed to favor.
  • praxis

He’s harmless. I think if was Frank who said he’s like a pet. The forum pet troll.
  • ZhouBoTong
    The first thing we should do is stop being racist,NOS4A2

I would guess you expect this response, but I suppose that means you will have a response...

If we can just "stop being racist" why didn't we try that option with other laws/regulations? Why do we need murder laws, can't people just stop killing other people?
  • ZhouBoTong
    You dont buy that definition of racism? How do you define it?DingoJones

I don't think he does (define it). If a person simply denies everyone else's definition while never providing one, they can never be proven wrong. Unfortunately, the rest of us are left wondering what we are supposed to be proving.

Based on his comments so far though, his definition of racism would be:

"anything that takes race into account"

Which I don't think any dictionary or any person here would agree with???
  • NOS4A2

I would guess you expect this response, but I suppose that means you will have a response...

If we can just "stop being racist" why didn't we try that option with other laws/regulations? Why do we need murder laws, can't people just stop killing other people?

You’ll note my sentence didn’t end there. I said:

“The first thing we should do is stop being racist, to stop using these outdated and tyrannical categories in our policies, for our statistics, for our stereotypes and judgements.”

Based on his comments so far though, his definition of racism would be:

"anything that takes race into account"

Which I don't think any dictionary or any person here would agree with???

Actually I suggested “Race-ism (the belief in race)”. This was taken from my reply to you.
  • DingoJones

Yes, that seems a very poor definition of racism to me as well, I dont think thats what NOS has in mind though.
    How about it NOS? How do you define racism?
  • NOS4A2

In it’s purest form, racism is the belief that the species may be divided into separate biological taxonomies called “race”.
  • Harry Hindu
    Can you just answer the question? Feel free to use a dictionary if you need to.Baden

What the hell? I've asked you questions that you ignored and now you demand that I answer your questions? This is the level of hypocrisy we have to deal with on this forum. Start treating me with the same respect that you expect for yourself and maybe we can have an actual discussion.

You may not have noticed, but if you point out the reality of racism in any form, Harry Hindu will find a way to accuse you of racism. It's his one game here and he never ever gets tired of it.
    — Baden

Fdrake made a similar argument. I asked him to define "prejudice" and never answered the question. So, I ask you: define "racism/prejudice/bias". If it walks, talks and acts like a duck, it's a duck.

And I've been asking for awhile now for people to point out the racists in our society, when all along they are right here in this thread!
    Harry Hindu

So why don't we get a rundown of everyone's race here and the mods? If it's so important that our race be in people's faces, then why aren't we doing it? Why aren't the mods demanding your race when registering and displaying it with our posts? If being color-blind is now what it means to be racist, then the owners of this forum are breaking their own rules to not be racist! It's the complete opposite of what MLK advocated.Harry Hindu
  • Harry Hindu
    Who knows when HH will show up.Baden
    LOL, I have a life and don't live on these forums, or only participate on these forums.
  • Harry Hindu
    I'll post my own definition afterwards, but I don't want to be accused of prejudicing any replies. I want Harry to look it up himself from a neutral source and figure out if that's what he's saying.Baden
    It's not incumbent upon me to define your god for you. You're the one making the claim that racism is systematic. Now define systematic, and point out the system and members of the system that are racist.
  • Baden

Yeah, hence the comment. If I thought you spent all your time on the forums, I wouldn't have said that, would I?

What the hell? I've asked you questions that you ignoredHarry Hindu

The only question in that is what race I am and why we aren't demanding posters' races. I think you can work that out yourself.

You're the one making the claim that racism is systematic. Now define systematic, and point out the system and members of the system that are racist.Harry Hindu

Holy sweet Jesus. Where do I start with this? You still haven't found a dictionary. You still don't know what you're claiming. You're still using the wrong words. And I actually did define the term in question.

(In fact, I've provided definitions of both "racism" and "systemic" racism).
  • Harry Hindu
    The only question in that is what race I am and why we aren't demanding posters race. I think you can work that out yourself.Baden
    Then you didn't take the time to read it.

It seems that you can work out your own definitions then and we don't need to have this discussion.

The reason you won't say why Admins on this forum aren't demanding members' race is because it contradicts your and 180's other arguments.

And I actually did define the term in question.Baden
    Then repost it because I missed it.
  • Baden
    Then repost it because I missed it.Harry Hindu

The fact that you are too lazy to scroll up and read is indicative of the pointlessness of dealing with you. You've earned Chrome ignore. Good luck.
  • Harry Hindu
    I'm too lazy, but you aren't when you didn't read and respond to my post? Lazy Hypocrite.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.