• Shawn
    It is a common misconception to think that Wittgenstein was anti-theoretical in his Philosophical Investigations. There's simply too much evidence that doesn't support that conclusion.

At first I thought Ramsey reduced the whole conception of a correspondence theory of truth combined with deflationary tendencies, with some serious pragmaticist undertones, and for all I know that seemed like the right conclusion.

But, the genius that Wittgenstein was took a much more macroscopic view on how language works, and here are my thoughts...

The beetle in the box, the incomprehensible speech of a talking lion, family resemblemces, language games, the rule-following paradox, and the private language argument all point to something entirely unseen at the time, Something that linguistic cognitivists like Chomsky talk about to this day. In that, there is an embedded syntax and grammar that we all possess that allow us to mimic, gesture, point towards, name, command, and question our own deeply held beliefs.

Is this even considered as something that modern scholars think about, because I'd love to read a paper on this, and all of it feels right in my mind?

Thoughts?
  • Streetlight
    In that, there is an embedded syntax and grammar that we all possessWallows

What you think Wittgenstein - Investigations Wittgenstein - says this?
  • Shawn
    What you think Wittgenstein says this?StreetlightX

wittgensteinsLion.png
  • Streetlight
    A comic? Seriously? Does your thread have a point? You listed a bunch of Wittgenstein buzzwords, briefly invoked Chomsky - a thinker who could not be more antithetical to late Wittgenstein if he tried to be - and then asked 'is this something that modern scholars think about?' - what is 'this'?
  • Shawn
    A comic? Seriously? Does your thread have a point? You listed a bunch of Wittgenstein buzzwords, briefly invoked Chomsky - a thinker who could not be more antithetical to late Wittgenstein if he tried his darnedest - and then asked 'is this something that modern scholars think about?' - what is 'this'?StreetlightX

Hold your preconceptions in pause.

Just what does a talking yet incomprehensible lion exactly mean to you?
  • Streetlight
    No. This is your thread. What is it about?
  • Shawn
    What is it about?StreetlightX

A different grammar or syntax being used by it?
  • Shawn
    Ugh.StreetlightX

What did you expect me to say?
  • Shawn
    Fine, try this.

Forms of life, taken within the context of the grammar and syntax used by people, point to... cognitivism.

How else do you state this?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet