• RegularGuy
    It seems to me that I can often see more than one perspective on an issue, and it’s often difficult for me to take sides in many cases. (Check out my D&D personality description in the lounge. I am “true neutral.”) I do have certain strong views, such as I despise despots and people with little empathy and compassion. I am also very cognizant of socioeconomic classes. However, I am often persuaded by a good argument (that is, until I hear a more persuasive argument that is more nuanced from another side.)

So what’s my identity? I hate strongmen as leaders. I despise heartless people. I hate bullies, but I can be a bully myself. I identify with homeless people AND the working class. Aside from that, I like yard work and philosophy (of science, mind, politics, and epistemology).

Does all this add up to an identity?
  • Drazjan
    Unless this thread is contrived by a computer program, you most certainly have an identity. However, it is quite possible that the qualities you have listed do not add up to your identity. You have probably owned or have known different pets, and if they were like mine, they all had identities, yet they held no opinions or morals. I doubt the nature of identity can be clarified with the written word.
  • Shawn
    I think you have a pretty solid identity. It's just making it shine that's our issue.
  • unenlightened
    My favourite topic.

I am often persuaded by a good argument (that is, until I hear a more persuasive argument that is more nuanced from another side.)Noah Te Stroete

I often walk northwards, until I get hungry, and then I turn round.

Identity is not self-sameness, nor is it that uniqueness that the police and immigration are interested in. Rather it is a state of mind brought about by a process of identification. For example, I am a certain height, which is more or less constant through adulthood. But 5ft 1ins is not an identity. 'Short-arse' is an identity which is developed in relationship with others who are taller.

So what’s my identity?Noah Te Stroete

You're a philosopher, dude. Someone who wonders and questions and changes their mind through their relationships with others (a lot, relative to others). So it has aspects of the personal and aspects of the social. one has identity always in relation to someone or something.

Someone said, I forget who, that the name of every tribe, in their own language is "The People". One is black or white, German or Italian, smart or dumb, homo- or heterosexual, only in relation (I could say "in comparison") to others. One even has or lacks an identity as an identity relative to others. 'They all have one, but I do not'.
  • RegularGuy
    Thanks, guys.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.