• Corra
    I just looked up philosophy in the dictionary _ a search for truth through logical reasoning rather than factual reasoning.
  • Corra
    The Webster's collegiate dictionary.
  • Pantagruel
    That sounds more like a definition of Rationalism....
  • Corra
    The other definition is the search for the truth. I found it in one of my grandfather's old dictionaries.
  • Corra
    What did the ancient philosophers define as philosophy? The definition I found came from the 20th century.
  • Corra
    Thanks of miletus was the first philosopher ( pre- Socrates) also known as the father of science. And of course the father of Western philosophy.
  • Corra
    I meant to type thalis of miletus was the first philosopher.
  • Corra
    I just looked up the ancient definition of philosophy and that is the love of wisdom. So daily life has nothing to do with philosophy. So glad I researched that.
  • Fooloso4
    I just looked up the ancient definition of philosophy and that is the love of wisdom. So daily life has nothing to do with philosophy. So glad I researched that.Corra

But it does. The desire to be wise includes the wisdom of how to live well.
  • Corra
    Well someone on this forum mocked me for it. Obviously philosophy is a deep subject and I was just going with my personal definition of what philosophy means to me. When I was in college I took a philosophy class and my professor had us write a paper on our own philosophy. This was my all time favorite class. You really had to take a deep look at yourself. I am just a beginning philosopher. I don't know all the terminology . That is no reason to mock people. That makes people shut down. Sorry no one is perfect.
  • Corra
    I will have to study more.
  • Corra
    I think one should live authentically. Whether you are religious, spiritual, or philosophical.
  • Corra
    I hope this doesn't make me wrong in my thinking.
  • Fooloso4
    Well someone on this forum mocked me for it.Corra

I think it quite amusing when someone who is evidently uninformed mocks someone else who is trying to sort things out. They make fools of themselves. Try not to let it bother you. Your detractor is wrong in thinking it is a modern misconception and that the guidelines by which one lives equates to a lifestyle.

You really had to take a deep look at yourself.Corra

Socrates frequently cited the Delphic maxim: "Know Thyself". You are on the right track.
  • Corra
    So I was correct in my thinking. I felt like I misunderstood everything I was reading in my philosophy book and on the net . Your internal beliefs will effect how you live your life.
  • Corra
    Thanks that makes me feel better. I was on the right track. I was just trying to answer a question.
  • Corra
    I am a psychology/ social work student. It is only a certificate program, but I love studying the social sciences.
  • halo
    I think of philosophy as a core set of principals that guide all following thought. Example, American political philosophy is a mix of individualism. limited government and rights of man. Someone’s personal philosophy on life may be, life is but a game to be played. This underlining , mostly unconscious philosophy on life will guide this person decision’s through life.
  • Marchesk
    I think one should live authentically. Whether you are religious, spiritual, or philosophical.Corra

What does that mean? That you're not a wannabe or that you don't conform to society when it conflicts with your personal views and feelings? Or that you're always honest with other people?
  • Corra
    Walk the walk not just talking about it. For example if you are a objectivist, living a rational life . Handling any issues you have in life in a rational manner.
  • Corra
    A practical application to your system of your belief system. I am a beginning philosopher so I am trying to explain it in simple terms. Because I don't know all the proper terminology. I would go with don't be wanna be. You said it perfect.
  • Corra
    Just be you. Some people will love and accept you, while others dislike you.
  • alcontali
    I just looked up philosophy in the dictionary _ a search for truth through logical reasoning rather than factual reasoning.Corra

"Philosophy" is exactly the type of term that layman dictionaries tend to get completely wrong.

The person who wrote the definition, simply did not understand what the term means, and then proceeds to explaining it in terms of other terms that he does not understand either.

Wikipedia is usually better, but in case of the term "philosophy", it is just as bad. The reason why so much bad definition work is being produced, is that these people simply do not understand what the term "definition" means.

Therefore, let's have a look at the work of people who clearly do have a usable understanding of what the term "definition" means.

Imagine we want to teach how to visually detect if something is a banana. How do we train the device to do that?

For training a boosted cascade of weak classifiers we need a set of positive samples (containing actual objects you want to detect) and a set of negative images (containing everything you do not want to detect).

After the opencv_traincascade application has finished its work, the trained cascade will be saved in cascade.xml file in the -data folder. Other files in this folder are created for the case of interrupted training, so you may delete them after completion of training.

Training is finished and you can test your cascade classifier!

A cascade classifier file is obviously a definition. It allows the cascade classifier program to inspect images and decide whether it contains a banana or not.

So, what exactly is a philosophy definition?

It is a file that contains rules and/or a description that should allow the user of the file to classify statements into philosophical ones and statements that are not. If the definition does not allow for using it in that way, then it is not a legitimate definition.
  • Corra
    I was just looking up the definition because someone on the forum posted it as a question. I agree more with the ancient Greek definition. There are more definitions in other dictionaries. Philosophy has so many schools of thought , you could study it for the rest of your life. It is more important that you study the schools of philosophy that you are interested in.
  • Corra
    I was just reading about new age philosophy. I have my personal opinions. What are points of view of others?
  • Fooloso4
    One way in which I have defined philosophy is as what the philosophers do.

From here we begin to read a select group of philosophers and discuss what we have read.
  • frank
    From here we begin to read a select group of philosophers and discuss what we have read.Fooloso4

What bores me is when that becomes archeological philosophy, as if getting the bones and dust in the right order is of any importance outside the museum.

Life and experience are like soil and seeds. Philosophy is like plant food. Don't you agree?
  • Fooloso4

My approach is not archaeological. The works of Plato and Aristotle, for example, are in my opinion as vital today as they were when they were written. It is not bones and dust but thinkers of extraordinary insight speaking to us. While our world is in some ways much different than theirs, but we are in many ways not so different from them.

In line with the agricultural metaphor, I would say that philosophy not only provides nutrients, it cultivates - it removes the weeds.
  • frank
    My approach is not archaeological. The works of Plato and Aristotle, for example, are in my opinion as vital today as they were when they were writtenFooloso4

I got into Plotinus before Plato, so now when I read Plato I'm interpreting it all through Plotinus. I'm curious about what I might be missing by doing that. Do you interpret Plato through the lens of someone who came later? We should do a reading group and see where we agree and disagree.

In line with the agricultural metaphor, I would say that philosophy not only provides nutrients, it cultivates - it removes the weeds.Fooloso4

Weeds?
  • Fooloso4
    I got into Plotinus before Plato, so now when I read Plato I'm interpreting it all through Plotinus.frank

That is a common problem. I am not sure we can really get behind those who came later and stand between us, but being aware of it helps.

Do you interpret Plato through the lens of someone who came later?frank

Those who influenced my reading of Plato are close readers of the text. It is always a question of textual support, and this means how well the interpretation connects all the parts while shedding light on the whole. There is still plenty of room for disagreement though.

We should do a reading group and see where we agree and disagree.frank

I cannot commit to leading a group but I would certainly participate. The Republic would be my choice.

Weeds?frank

Thoughts, beliefs, opinions, habits, attitudes that, so to speak, steal the nutrients and moisture from the soil and block the sun. The words culture, cultivate, and agriculture are closely related.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment