• JenaGermany80
    About 7 years ago I stumbled over a linguistic/philosophical/mathematical curiosity. At that time I questioned everything I knew and understood - which included the knowledge acquired over the course of an entire university curriculum in biology and social sciences.

It began with questions about the inherent structure of particular ideas and concepts (esp. in social sciences), but soon after, I began asking questions about the nature of ideas/concepts in general. I took courses in philosophy of language/thought, Leibniz, Derrida, Wittgenstein etc.

Intrigued, but ultimately dissatisfied, I shifted my attention from "understanding" knowledge towards mathematics. The question became: Is anything I know quantifiable? Thus, again: Are my concepts quantifiable? And because we use words How do we understand each other?: Is language in general quantifiable?, Is the infinite regress really infinite or finite and thus a misconception?; What is the nature of the relation between language and thought?, What is the nature of the relation between perception and thought? and related questions regarding the mathematical deconstruction of language and knowledge.

Let's assume the answer to these and similar questions is either "yes" or "too complex for a one-word answer".

I can think of a number of positive reasons to continue this project, but one simple negative consequence nags at me, every time I do, and often gets in the way: Many of mankinds "eternal" questions become somewhat meaningless.

• hachit
    Philosophy is held together by its questions rather than it answers
  • OpinionsMatterAccepted Answer

I agree, but without such questions where would society stand? We are made of these questions, and to voice them is a privilege. When answers are found we question them, and we even question questions! But over all, being inquisitive and searching for the reality and answers is what we are made of and have the need to do.
  • Frotunes
    Yes Please
  • Willyfaust
    Philosophy expressed, states ignorance, not Oracle awareness. When does an ant have the solution, but only glimpses of the earth he crawls through.
  • Willyfaust
    Philosophy is very similar to religion as it attempts to offer meaning.
  • Willyfaust
    Philosophy should confidently assert what we don't know as opposed to faith in the unknown.
  • Pattern-chaser
    Philosophy should confidently assert what we don't know as opposed to faith in the unknown.Willyfaust

The problem with that is the huge amount of stuff we don't know, leading us unavoidably to guesswork or faith. Either that or we cannot progress beyond our current position, because there's too much we don't know. Why did we invent axioms, do you think? :smile:
  • Matias
    That is a pretty good aphorism! Is it yours ?

That reminds me of something I read a few days ago:
    "Philosophers have been profoundly wrong on alomst every question under the sun over the last 2500 years. You should never listen to the answers of philosophers, but you should listen to their questions." (Christof Koch)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.