• S
    Surely, someone might take offence to it.Wallows

Generation Snowflake, or Snowflake Generation, is a neologistic term used to characterize the millennial generation as being more prone to taking offence and having less psychological resilience than previous generations, or as being too emotionally vulnerable to cope with views that challenge their own. — Wikipedia
  • Shawn

Yeah, and good for them to be snowflakes. As I always say, whatever floats your boat. And, please don't rock my boat too.
  • S
    No, not good for them. Less psychological resilience isn't a good thing. In fact, it sums up your whole problem in much less words than your typical neurotic ramblings.

Sorry if I just rocked your boat so damn hard it sent you flying into the ocean. Except I'm not really sorry. Sue me.
  • Shawn
    No, not good for them. Less psychological resilience isn't a good thing. In fact, it sums up your whole problem in much less words than your typical neurotic ramblings.S

And, you're the one to say that? Puh-leeze.
  • S
    Uuuuh, errrr, should I quit smoking or shouldn't I? Ohhh, ummmm, it's such a hard decision. Won't someone please help me? Ahhhh, what to do? Life is hard!
  • Shawn
    Uuuuh, errrr, should I quit smoking or shouldn't I? Ohhh, ummmm, it's such a hard decision. Won't someone please help me? Ahhhh, what to do? Life is hard.S

What's your point here? That I'm neurotic? Hah so be it, spare me the panderings.
  • S
    What's your point here? That I'm neurotic? Hah so be it, spare me the panderings.Wallows

I don't know, but it was funny.
  • Shawn
    I don't know, but it was funny.S

So, you have stated that you find satisfaction in pointing out other people's lack of "resilience". Doesn't that make you some pseudo internet bully?
  • S
    So, you have stated that you find satisfaction in pointing out other people's lack of "resilience". Doesn't that make you some pseudo internet bully?Wallows

I find satisfaction in humour, and mockery is a form of humour. If you don't, then I don't really get you. I have thick enough skin to laugh at being mocked myself. Would good does wallowing do? It doesn't. The cancer is not the cure.
  • Shawn
    I find satisfaction in humour, and mockery is a form of humour. If you don't, then I don't really get you. I have thick enough skin to laugh at being mocked myself. Would good does wallowing do? It doesn't. The cancer is not the cure.S

Wallowing is a safe and healthy practice. It helps the soul. :)

And it's safe to say I don't even get myself either. I don't think I have an ego.
  • S
    Wallowing is a safe and healthy practice. It helps the soul. :)

And it's safe to say I don't even get myself either. I don't think I have an ego.
    Wallows

I knew you had an appreciation for humour!
  • Shawn
    I knew you had an appreciation for humour!S

But, if we are being Socratic, then there's little that either of us knows. So, spare the psychologizing, which never was conducive towards the truth.
  • S
    But, if we are being Socratic, then there's little that either of us knows. So, spare the psychologizing, which never was conducive towards the truth.Wallows

You should get a cat.
  • Shawn
    You should get a cat.S

No, I talk to myself because I'm a solipsist. You are a figment of my imagination.
  • Shawn
    Then what was your point?S

I don't know to raise awareness perhaps?
  • S
    I don't know to raise awareness perhaps?Wallows

Or perhaps to stoke the fire.
  • Shawn
    Or perhaps to stoke the fire.S

Nah, I'm a content and mellow wallower. Der bee nou evail phrom mee.
  • S
    Nah, I'm a content and mellow wallower. Der bee nou evail phrom mee.Wallows

Ah yes, I forgot. I'm the only troll around here. All of the other trolls are in fact just decent law abiding citizens. You, for example, would never even dream of such behaviour.
  • Shawn
    Ah yes, I forgot. I'm the only troll around here.S

Must I remind you that this thread isn't exclusively about you, despite your frantic attempts to make it about yourself? Sheesh. Give me a break @S.
  • S
    Ok, Mr. Troll.
  • Shawn
    Ok, Mr. Troll.S

Pissing contest?
  • unenlightened
    When is one right about one's ideas about the other person?

Surely, someone might take offence to it.
    Wallows

Well Wallows, if I point out that your threads tend to be self-indulgent, (that means ego-indulgent,) and you are always wanting to be the centre of attention (which is incompatible with solipsism by the way), then I am, as usual, right. But my being right does not prevent you from taking offence.

But a troll is one who delights in giving offence. A surgeon cuts, and so does Jack the Ripper. One of them is trying to be helpful, and the other is just having a dig.
  • Isaac
    For me, psychologising, as you put it, is just about the only interesting thing there is to do here. Surely as a dutiful quietist you wouldn't claim that the point of all this back-and-forth is to establish what is 'true'? So why engage at all? For me, it's to gain insight into why people maintain and promote the world-views they do, and to do that one must speculate and test one's theories (even if occasionally by provocation) about intent.

And just because the tactics of some in this regard are less subtle than others, I wouldn't think for a moment that everyone else isn't doing just the same. If you're concerned about the harms, look up ostracisation in any good psychology text book. I guarantee you that every single one will report that the polite ignoring you seem to be advising is far more harmful than a slew of insults.
  • S
    And just because the tactics of some in this regard are less subtle than others, I wouldn't think for a moment that everyone else isn't doing just the same. If you're concerned about the harms, look up ostracisation in any good psychology text book. I guarantee you that every single one will report that the polite ignoring you seem to be advising is far more harmful than a slew of insults.Isaac

Yeah, but it can be overcome with strength of will and psychological resilience.
  • Isaac

Absolutely agree, and I wouldn't want to give the impression that I think there's anything wrong with ostracisation either, it's a perfectly acceptable strategy in some cases for a community to make clear its preferences for membership.

My point was only to call out the hypocrisy in people who think they are taking some moral high ground by ignoring (or advising such with) the posts them deem 'unworthy' whilst at the same time mitigating a low level of gentle insult on the grounds of the 'harm' it may cause. The harm from the former is fairly well agreed upon to be greater than the latter. This doesn't, in my opinion, mean either should not be used, only that it is inconsistent to advise one but not the other on the grounds of harm.

As to what can and cannot be overcome, I agree with the general problems of snowflake generation, but I also have a deep belief in the autonomy of individuals and communities, and if a community wants to ban insults or wrap its members in psychological cotton wool, then that's their perogative. It's just not a community I'd spend a lot of time in.
  • Shawn
    Well Wallows, if I point out that your threads tend to be self-indulgent, (that means ego-indulgent,) and you are always wanting to be the centre of attention (which is incompatible with solipsism by the way), then I am, as usual, right. But my being right does not prevent you from taking offence.unenlightened

My ego is non-existent. It has been eaten by my ID or super-ego, as the two were tired of its impotence.
  • unenlightened
    My ego is non-existent.Wallows

Says who?
  • Shawn
    Says who?unenlightened

Says me the wallower in chief.
  • Shawn
    As to what can and cannot be overcome, I agree with the general problems of snowflake generation, but I also have a deep belief in the autonomy of individuals and communities, and if a community wants to ban insults or wrap its members in psychological cotton wool, then that's their perogative. It's just not a community I'd spend a lot of time in.Isaac

The question then becomes, who in the hell made it "your" role to advise other people on how they ought to live their lives? Isn't that the paradox of philosophy summed up as succinctly as I can? Isn't that the role of sophistry and not philosophy (as much as it would like to assume).
  • S
    The question then becomes, who in the hell made it "your" role to advise other people on how they ought to live their lives?Wallows

Are you suggesting that that's what he was doing? That wasn't contained in what you quoted. Where are you getting that from?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.