• Ilya B Shambat
    Recently, when some men in India got convicted of rape, people took to the streets claiming that these men did not represent Indian people and that Indian people rejected their behavior.

Something similar needs to happen regarding the recent shootings in Christchurch.

People need to say that they are not terrorists, and that the terrorists who claim to defend them are unwelcome. People need to say that they reject attacks on civilians, even if the civilians are Muslim. People need to say that they, unlike the Muslim terrorists, are civilized and peace-loving citizens, and that they reject these attacks in their name.

No, one is not made a pussy by being a peaceful citizen. Many peace-loving citizens have been in the military and faced far greater horrors than what these terrorists ever had to face. Self-control is also a mark of a real man. And cowardly attacks against a mosque lack both self-control and actual danger. Which means that people who commit them have no business claiming to be real men.

Now Rush Limbaugh has claimed that the attacks were a false flag. This is of course true to character. Here is America's biggest conman who claims to respect the American people while he is feeding them a pack of lies. He has done this on many issues, from global warming to the deficit. His actions are true to his character. It is time that the Western people say that the actions of the Christchurch terrorists are not true to theirs.

The people of the West need to say, We are better than this. They need to say, We refuse to let anyone mindlessly slaughter civilians in our name. They need to show that they are better than Muslim terrorists. And that also means better than terrorists at home.

I would recommend that people take to the streets to protest the actions of these terrorists, in the same way that Indian people took to the streets to protest the actions of rapists. And then they stand to show that the domestic terrorists do not speak for the people, and that the people have better ethics than do they.
  • Galuchat

Something similar needs to happen...
    People need to say...
    People need to say...
    People need to say...
    The people of the West need to say...
    I would recommend that people...
    — Ilya B Shambat

How is any of this relevant to political philosophy? I would recommend that you save it for your next poem.
  • Ilya B Shambat
    It is relevant to political philosophy because here we have people doing a very wrong thing, and nobody is challenging them about it.

I do not see how it can be a theme for a poem; it is a theme for a post.
  • Galuchat

It is relevant to political philosophy because here we have people doing a very wrong thing, and nobody is challenging them about it. — Ilya B Shambat

That would make it relevant to Ethics.
  • Terrapin Station
    Recently, when some men in India got convicted of rape, people took to the streets claiming that these men did not represent Indian people and that Indian people rejected their behavior.

Something similar needs to happen regarding the recent shootings in Christchurch.
    Ilya B Shambat

I don't think that any widespread demographic needs to explain that they're not characteristically criminals, psychopaths, etc. Anyone who makes a hasty generalization about a widespread demographic in that vein is simply ignorant.
  • tim wood
    Agreed and well said. To those who feel your remarks are out of place here because not "philosophical," I suggest reading some of The Philosopher, especially on the (his) topic of politics.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment