• Aadee
    I don't mean from a moral perspective, but in reality.

I say the answer to any question is actually a distillation of the most likely to the least likely.
    This kind of logic is used all the time in computer simulation programs. Where thousands or millions of permutations are run to find the most likely answer. In reality I can test a statement such as "the light is turned off". The most likely answer to that question is- yes if it is not radiating light. Actually though the answer could also be-no the filament is destroyed in the incandescent bulb. Matters are worse when perspective is introduced.

As Thomas Frey distinctly put it "Why is there an exception to every rule?"

This apparently being the case if you wanted to derive the most complete answer to any question it would have to include all the possible permutations or answers...all the information in the universe that can be detected relating to the question. Or Any Question.
  • MindForged
    Probably not. Even writ large, Excluded Middle and Bivalence are always tricky when we see ideas that seem to challenge them. Category errors are a common example. You can call them false but that ends up not seeming quite right. They seem to be utterly incoherent, but in a logic with only truth and falsity (and where Excluded Middle holds), "incoherence" and "falsity" are the same thing.

Such logics, arguably, lack the resources to deal with something people deal with in a fairly straightforward manner.
  • TheMadFool
    While a question may have many answers, each answer can be paired with its contradiction.
  • Aadee
    There is no black and white- only the standards by which we determine what black or white are and are to be communicated. The answer is always grey to the original query. From this potential of universal knowledge available a commonly understood structure, density rate and limit in time are required in order to make that information useful.
  • TheMadFool
    There is no black and whiteAadee

I agree but of the many colors that are available, each can be only either affirmed or denied.
  • S
    Yes. ( :lol: )
  • Aadee

There are words and word strings that demonstrate the increasing complexity and density of information exchange and MindForged are great "Excluded Middle and Bivalence" not only do they establish structure and limit information transfer but they also increase the density of potential information transfer in time. All logic and semantics are really just a way to manage and transfer information. As long as the structure of that information management is understood by at least one consciousness then it is valid.
  • Aadee

I understand the limit that you are communicating for information transfer, therefore it is valid. :wink:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.