• khaled
    What's an aspie?

Tolerance is never about letting people initiate physical attacks, murdering others, etc.Terrapin Station

Exactly why tolerent people as defined can't defend themselves from Intolerant people
  • khaled
    ok I looked it up. Obviously when I'm trying to make the same point I'll sound repetitive. That doesn't mean I have Asperger's syndrome
  • Terrapin Station
    Exactly why tolerent people as defined can't defend themselves from Intolerant peoplekhaled

It's not an argument against something if you don't even know what people are talking about. You have to address what someone is saying. Not what they're not saying but how you can creatively or "literally" interpret a term.

Aspies tend to interpret things "literally."
  • khaled
    oh I’m so sorry for thinking the words you say mean the words you say. Tell me exactly what you mean then because apparently I haven’t addressed your point. Also please bear with me and use words to mean what they literally mean. Me being an aspie apparently can’t comprehend otherwise
  • Terrapin Station
    oh I’m so sorry for thinking the words you say mean the words you say.khaled

That's just the issue though. You have to deal with what people actually have in mind, not something they don't have in mind but that you think the words "literally" say. The latter is the mistake that Aspies make. That's one of the primary characteristics of Aspergers.

I already told you at least twice above that no one is using "tolerance" to refer to just letting people murder others, say.
  • DingoJones

Thats what I understood the OP to be refering to, an extreme tolerance, so tolerant that you tolerate anything. Im not buying khaleds logic but I think he is using the word consistently with the discussions premiss.
  • Terrapin Station

The initial post says nothing about physical violence, initiating physical attacks, committing murders, etc.

Conventional talk of tolerance has nothing to do with that. It has to do with attitudes, beliefs customs, biases, biogtry, etc. It's an ideological issue, not a violence issue.
  • DingoJones

I took “unlimited tolerance” to include tolerance of violence etc, some kind of extreme tolerance. Not the way I would think of it, and not conventional but I dont know what else would be meant by “unlimited tolerance”.
  • Terrapin Station

Unlimited tolerance would presumably include tolerance of hate speech, Pro-Nazi views, pedophilia advocates--etc. Views considered more outrageous.
  • DingoJones

Yes, everything. Excluding nothing. At least, thats what I would think “unlimited” is intended to mean.
    The initial poster seems to have tuned out of the conversation so im not even sure if there is much substance here, or what the end game of the OP might be.
    Anyway, I understand your view. Similar if not very close to the free speech discussion.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet