• Shawn

But the distinction was clear and apparent to your mind? So was it in mine.
  • Banno
    I would argue that money is necessary to gain this food.NuncAmissa

But I did not say that money is necessary to gain food. Quite the opposite, in fact
  • Banno
    And? Sometimes the cat pokes things off the table just to be a pain.
  • Shawn

We don't know about intentional affect quite yet. What we're left with is behaviorism. The cat behaves this way to elicit a response, not that it 'understands the concept of being a pain'.
  • NuncAmissa

Isn't that the point of my response?
  • hks
    Cats are really smart too !!
  • Banno
    We don't know about intentional affect quite yetPosty McPostface

Oh, I don't know - I think we can make pretty good inferences from observed behaviour. I'm not going to conclude that there is nothing intentional going on behind your posts.
  • Shawn
    Oh, I don't know - I think we can make pretty good inferences from observed behaviour. I'm not going to conclude that there is nothing intentional going on behind your posts.Banno

Well, @StreetlightX has posted an illuminating post here. What do you think about his behaviourism?
  • Banno
    That is it not behaviourism.
  • Shawn
    That is it not behaviourism.Banno

What is it?
  • Brianna Whitney
    Want, and need, don't exist in present tense. Gratification is a human instinct. Being primal, it doesn't discriminate.

For a less philosophic answer, I'd put the question next to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.
  • Shawn
    For a less philosophic answer, I'd put the question next to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.Brianna Whitney

And what do you have to say about that?
  • Brianna Whitney
    "In order to live an ethical life, we must first identify our wants from needs. Want's can not all be satisfied, per Stoicism."

All sources of gratification fulfill a need. Maslow's Heirarchy would assert that a person's motivation is based on fulfilling needs that are physical, psychological, social, creative, etc., Physical needs are precedent. If physical needs are met, we approach a new set of goals for gratification.

https://goo.gl/images/Engm1d

I'm not a fan of stoicism.
  • Shawn
    All sources of gratification fulfill a need. Maslow's Heirarchy would assert that a person's motivation is based on fulfilling needs that are physical, psychological, social, creative, etc., Physical needs are precedent. If physical needs are met, we approach a new set of goals for gratification.Brianna Whitney

Hmm, I can see how physical needs are mandatory. But, I don't know so much about psychological needs.

I'm not a fan of stoicism.Brianna Whitney

Why's that?
17891011Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.