• Kushal
    Starting with the basic ideas like the 'correspondence theory of truth' and 'identity theory of truth' I stumbled upon the English philosopher F.H. Bradley and his book 'Truth and Reality'. In the beginning, he defines truth as something that satisfies intellect, that means something that is rational and logical. Further, this kind of truth leads to 'goodness' which he defines as something that gives a feeling a contentment and suppresses unrest. No where is the mention of a 'facts' or 'evidence' so I was thinking how valid are the his definitions or should I continue reading? Also, if truth satisfies intellect with logical reasoning, the post-truth has world has not eradicated but morphed what is logically and rationally correct as the advent of alternative facts (plus emotional manipulations like sense of belonginess/nationalism) increases. So, I argue against the fact that satisfaction of intellect leads to truth as this kind of satisfaction is attainable through these morphed logical/rational arguments + emotional manipulation.
  • Terrapin Station
    so I was thinking how valid are the his definitions or should I continue reading?Kushal

His definitions are unusual. Re continuing reading, it's just a matter of whether you're being entertained by Bradley and/or if you really want to know what he says for its own sake (just to know what he says because you're intrigued by him or whatever, or just so that you're educated about "what Bradley thinks," etc.).

Similar situations are going to arise for most philosophers. Ultimately, it's just some person telling you what they think, where what they think is often kinda weird and often highly dubious, and it's just a matter of whether they're entertaining you or you really want to know what they think for its own sake.
  • tim wood
    The greek word for truth was (is?) aletheia. A-lethe, very roughly, not asleep, not bewildered, not oblivious, not concealed.
  • SophistiCat
    Sounds like he is working out a purely internalist concept of truth. Internalism as such is not an unusual position, although it is more commonly deployed in the context of knowledge and justification.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment