• Belter
    Logical consequence is said to be both necessary and formal.
    Now, suppose that you are asked to resolve a modus ponens, and you reason in the following way, in a seemed way than simplifying equations.

(1) (P-> Q) & P->?
    (2) (P-> Q) & P
    (C) Q

The conclusion is both necessary and formal, but it seems not to be a "logical" consequence after all.
    Thoughts?
  • LD Saunders
    I'm not sure I understand your question. Is your first statement, P implied Q, and P implies something unknown as well? Is your second statement, P implies Q, and not P implies something unknown? And then the third statement is simply Q?
  • tim wood
    Well, it seems to me at first look that crossing out - if that's what you're doing - is more work that just reading and understanding the logic - because in order to cross out correctly you already have to have understood the logic.
  • Belter

The point is that the crossing out is other logic than "classic" modus ponens, but it is a formal way that leds to a valid conclusion (necessarily true if premises are true). But is seems not to be a logical consequence of premises.
  • tim wood
    The question, then, is do you have an explicit "crossing out" rule that is not just a sleight-of-hand modus ponens? For example, (p=>q) = ~(p^~q). Can you do that with crossing out?
  • Belter

Obviously, the "crossing out" rule only works for certain premises and notations. My claim is that there are other "rules" with the same consequence for all logical system, which use always a linguistic notation (they are formal languages). For example, for (p=>q) = ~(p^~q) someone could interpret than "=>" means that we must cross out two "~" signs and one "^" sign, so pq=pq.
    The point is that all notation system do not prevent the existence of heuristic rules that led both to formal and necessary conclusions. I try to show cases of logical luck.
  • Owen

Tautologies are logical truths.
    In virtue of truth tables (p & q) -> q is a tautology.
    and
    ((p -> q) & p) <-> (p & q), is a tautology.
    therefore
    ((p -> q) & p) -> q is a tautology.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.