• Shawn
    What happened to Yugoslavia and why was it dismantled or cut up into differing countries?
  • tim wood
    Tito died. As history teaches it is sometimes the case that when the top dog dies, lesser dogs compete, and are usually worse. Sidenote to Tito: Per the news of the day, he held the soviets at bay, which I think is impressive, although he was able to practice on the Nazis.

This from wiki:

Stalin took the matter personally and arranged several assassination attempts on Tito, none of which succeeded. In a correspondence between the two leaders, Tito openly wrote:

"Stop sending people to kill me. We've already captured five of them, one of them with a bomb and another with a rifle. [...] If you don't stop sending killers, I'll send one to Moscow, and I won't have to send a second."
    — Josip Broz Tito[133]

Created in 1918 and arguably an artificial state, although not conclusively so, if it required a strongman with balls the size of Tito's to hold it together, it's understandable if the inner tensions released after his death blew the country apart.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.