• Aleksander Kvam
    Well, I see now that empathy is a completly useless "feeling". Sympathy I understand and have felt on several occations but its still a burden, in my mind. I dont think im strong enough to be compassionate to be honest.
  • Shawn
    I dont think im strong enough to be compassionate to be honest.Aleksander Kvam

Why not? What does strength have to do with being compassionate?
  • Aleksander Kvam
    You know, carrying other people`s burden and so on. Maybe there is such a thing as to be too empathic that it drains your energy in such a strong way that you avoid getting involved in a fear that it would eat you up inside. you know what I mean? It sounds contradictive, I know. But as another exemple, people can be come misanthrophic because they have a strong moral sense, but has seen/heared or read about people doing horrific things to others. you can be so overvelmed that you just simply stop caring.
  • Sir2u
    So, nobody really answered, how does one enlarge one's sphere of interest?

Is that possible?
    Posty McPostface

As I stated earlier, I don't think that too many people can.
    Think about it, even if you wanted to help the guy living by the dumpster on the corner, what could you do? How much do you have to offer?

Most people, at least most normal people, do try to help the owns they know. Starting with family, then extended family, then depending on the capabilities to do so friends and neighbors. After that it is usually a matter of "If I have some spare change in my pocket" to help strangers.

The ones that maybe would have the chance to help others are the ones that have excessive resources. Unfortunately a lot of them think that keeping their millions in the bank is more important.

I think that while some may say that it is lack of empathy I would call it self preservation. I might be willing to go out and help the homeless but I would not do it knowing that my loved ones would end up suffering because of it. I often work with some of my neighbors and the just as often work with me on some project. But I am not going to take a day of work to do so.
  • Aleksander Kvam
    The ones that maybe would have the chance to help others are the ones that have excessive resources.Sir2u

If we`re talking about money than it dosent have to be much, as long as others do it to. But I dont want to sound like a hypocrite, because I dont do much to help "strangers". And I have my reason(s) for it, that I have stated before. If the reason(s) are justifiable is a matter of debate offcourse.
  • Sir2u
    But I dont want to sound like a hypocrite, because I dont do much to help "strangers". And I have my reason(s) for it, that I have stated before. If the reason(s) are justifiable is a matter of debate offcourse.Aleksander Kvam

So you are one of the normal people I spoke of earlier.

I am sure that if you found a starved child you would do whatever you could to help out, but like me you are not going to invite a homeless person to sleep on your couch unless you know the person and their circumstances.
12345Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet