• Banno
    “I have broken more Elton John records, he seems to have a lot of records. And I, by the way, I don’t have a musical instrument. I don’t have a guitar or an organ. No organ. Elton has an organ. And lots of other people helping. No, we’ve broken a lot of records. We’ve broken virtually every record. Because you know, look I only need this space. They need much more room. For basketball, for hockey and all of the sports, they need a lot of room. We don’t need it. We have people in that space. So we break all of these records. Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully, the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.”

What are we to make of this?
  • Shawn
    It's a new language.
  • 0 thru 9
    That some people have the ability to talk out of an organ other than their mouth? :flower:
  • Luke
    I assume he's talking about attendance records.
  • Shawn
    The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

Yes, brain good.
  • Maw
    When I first saw this quote being shared around Facebook, I thought it was just a parody. I can't believe he actually said this....
  • Akanthinos
    What are we to make of this?Banno

Have Elton make a song of it?

Let's all remember that Donald Trump speaks like the majority of Americans, according to his followers.
  • Shawn

Let's also remember that through linguistic analysis it's thought that Trump has early stage dementia. Supposedly...
  • Hanover

That he is capable of communicating so effectively that he's been able to have secured the most competitive political position in the world, and you lack the comprehension to comprehend him or those who comprehend him.

As Dylan said, "Don't criticize what you can't understand."
  • Akanthinos
    that through linguistic analysis it's thought that Trump has early stage dementia.Posty McPostface

Lol. "linguistic analysis". That's a really professional way to say he sounds like an idiot. :yum:
  • Shawn
    As Dylan said, "Don't criticize what you can't understand."Hanover

I'm not sure if there's anything to understand here. Ok, you like the fact that he speaks American? Whoopty-doo, so do many other Americans.
  • Akanthinos
    I'm not sure if there's anything to understand here. Ok, you like the fact that he speaks American? Whoopty-doo, so do many other Americans.Posty McPostface

No no no. You simply lack the comprehension to comprehend Trump or those who comprehend their comprehension of Trump.

Comprende?
  • Shawn

Ohh, then that settles it. Comprende, Senior Akanthinos.
  • unenlightened

Fear of castration - "No organ."

Penis envy - "Elton has an organ"

Infantile rage - "we’ve broken a lot of records."[

Orality - "This is the only musical: the mouth.".

He's obviously afraid of his father, and afraid of becoming a woman - almost certainly a repressed homosexual.
  • Txastopher
    This is what happens when you fire your speechwriters.
  • Benkei
    that made me laugh. :rofl: thanks!
  • Agustino
    That you have no idea what the context is, and you cannot make a difference between written speech and spoken speech. Watch it here:

• Baden

It's a horribly incoherent infantile mess. It's only that when you see it spoken in context, and you understand he is referencing the crowd, it doesn't look like he is actually insane. That's a pathetically low bar. Anyone who has ever experienced an accomplished speech would recognize that this is the ramblings of a man-child. We should be standing up for quality not lauding this kind of rubbish. There was a time when oratory was appreciated. This is utterly retrograde, a descent into verbal faeces, and should be called out for that lest we lose sight of the actual potential of the spoken word to evince the higher emotions, intuitions and rational faculties. But yes, journalists are very bad, #MeToo sucks and Elizabeth Warren is Pocahontas. :vomit: :vomit: :vomit:
  • Maw
    the context doesn't make it any less stupid
  • Jeremiah

His speeches make much more sense if you are drunk.
  • Jeremiah

He is also capable of shooting laser beams from his eyes and eating an entire cheeseburger in a single bite.
  • gurugeorge
    Eh? It's not difficult: "We get huge audiences comparable to big musical attractions like Elton John, without the benefit of any special musical talent or any requirement for a big space such as big sports events would need, because I'm a great speaker and I'm a stable genius."

What's not to like?
  • Shawn
    What's not to like?gurugeorge

Being trolled by a die hard fan?
  • Baden
    What's not to like?gurugeorge

The fact that without visual clues it needs to be translated into English to be properly understood, that any random imbecile can babble on like that and similarly doesn't deserve a huge audience in front of which to do so, that it's narcissistic, empty, and lacking all rhetorical flourish and skill, that it encourages similar stupidities of speech, that it motivates an utterly vacuous and partisan defence along the delusional lines that such a lack of style and content indicates an anti-elite everyman mindset (though Trump clearly considers himself the elite of the elite), that nobody gives a flying fuck about Elton John any more (it's not the eighties, Don), that it's simply an utterly shit example of public speech. And so on. (I could go on).
  • Baden
    Trump's vocal chords should be extracted and medically inserted up his anus, so verbal and literal diarhhoea can at last be at one.
  • Baden
    I don't like Trump or his organ much. Did I mention that? :grin:
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I don't like Trump or his organ much. Did I mention that?Baden

Once or twice a day? :chin:
  • Agustino
    Why has Trump's job approval been on the rise ever since December 13 2017?

https://realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html
  • Baden

Why is a poisonously unhealthy beverage like Coca Cola the most popular soft drink in the world?

That's likely to continue until he's either impeached or undergoes the services of a professional taxidermist and is put on display in the Smithsonian.
  • Agustino
    Why is a poisonously unhealthy beverage like Coca Cola the most popular soft drink in the world?Baden
    Because 95%+ of people are idiots. But if I say that, you'll call me an anti-social elitist!
  • Baden

Falling for marketing/PR doesn't make you an "idiot" and Trump voters, Trump supporters and Coca Cola drinkers are not idiots just because of those preferences. Some of them do need to aim for higher standards with regard to their gustatory and auditory intake though.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.