• Agustino
    wheres-the-buxtabuddha.jpg

Why did @Buxtebuddha get banned? I am disappointed with this decision, I don't think he deserved it. Someone recently alerted me to it and mentioned he had some great posts in the past few months. As I haven't been active, I thought I had to come and check it out.

Like this post for example - https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/186710 . It's rare to find such incisive comments which get to the heart of the matter. This place quite often is filled with people who put only a finger in the honey pot - my God, it's rare to get one who puts his whole hand in there. Most people just want to pretend to help, instead of providing real help. I think we should accommodate eccentricities, not exterminate them. Extermination of difference will only lead to the degradation of this community.

I mean who cares that he told @Maw to go suck his own Johnny Walker? Even the White House Communications Director used to say the same thing... And maybe it was actually good advice...

Anyway, just thought I'd let everyone know my thoughts. I don't think acting in this manner will be productive for our community in the long run, that's all. Thanks. *vanishes*
  • Michael
    Even the White House Communications Director used to say the same thingAgustino

And he got kicked out too. We're just following Trump's lead. He is the President after all and deserves our loyalty.
  • Michael
    Also you spelled "Buxtebuddha" wrong in your image.
  • Agustino
    Also you spelled "Buxtebuddha" wrong in your image.Michael
    What about the title?
  • Michael
    Any moderator reading this, please know that I dont want to go to the Gulag, and that all of this was "sarcasm".René Descartes

Quoting the word "sarcasm" makes it seem that you're being sarcastic in calling it sarcasm. Now I don't know what to think.
  • Michael
    Don't worry, nobody is thinking about banning you.
  • Shawn
    I think we should accommodate eccentricities, not exterminate them. Extermination of difference will only lead to the degradation of this community.Agustino

So, what's the norm here if we're talking about eccentricities?
  • Agustino
    So, what's the norm here if we're talking about eccentricities?Posty McPostface
    There is no norm, they are eccentricities.
  • Shawn
    There is no norm, they are eccentricities.Agustino

Eccentricities exist on a spectrum of deviating from some norm, no? So, what's the norm?
  • Agustino
    Eccentricities exist on a spectrum of deviating from some norm, no? So, what's the norm?Posty McPostface
    By eccentricities I referred to actions which are peculiar to an individual (such as some swearing is to Buxta), but which are otherwise irrelevant - they don't cause any harm.
  • Shawn
    By eccentricities I referred to actions which are peculiar to an individual (such as some swearing is to Buxta), but which are otherwise irrelevant - they don't cause any harm.Agustino

Depends on the context. But, I had nothing against Buxte, just that he became increasingly hostile and grudging against a particular moderator, upon being notified that he was put on 'probation', which is a horrible thing to tell someone on an online forum, and hope we can do away with it, if at all possible.
  • Agustino
    But, I had nothing against Buxte, just that he became increasingly hostile and grudging against a particular moderator, upon being notified that he was put on 'probation'Posty McPostface
    Come on, did you or the moderators really expect Buxta to stop? Then he wouldn't be Buxta anymore. So I don't buy this. Whoever gave the warning did not expect him to stop, and gave the warning on purpose, knowing the end. People here are not dumb.
  • Shawn
    Come on, did you or the moderators really expect Buxta to stop?Agustino

So, we ought to be more tolerant to people who become increasingly intolerant to others opinions? That's not a stable equilibrium by any means.
  • Agustino
    So, we ought to be more tolerant to people who become increasingly intolerant to other's opinions? That's not a stable equilibrium by any means.Posty McPostface
    I don't think he was intolerant, I think it was just his style.
  • Shawn
    I don't think he was intolerant, I think it was just his style.Agustino

Telling someone to suck your whatnot kinda makes the point clear, in my opinion.
  • Agustino
    Well, to be honest, @Maw is FAAAR more intolerant than Buxta, even though he doesn't swear.
  • Erik

Maw doesn't swear? Are you kidding me!
  • Shawn
    Anyway, I don't know all the details. It would be nice if we could accommodate everyone on this forum; but, maintaining it and not getting paid for doing such a task entails some things, if you know what I mean?
  • Agustino
    Maw doesn't swear? Are you kidding me!Erik
    That's what happens when you're not around for awhile :rofl: Maybe I was spared because I stopped posting roundabout when Maw made his return.
  • S
    I disagree. He would still be himself, just a refined version of himself. The moderators are pretty tolerant here - although they do seem to have become increasingly less so in my assessment, which is something to think about - so would the changes required of him really have been so drastic? You've got to draw the line somewhere, and if he overstepped it, then he had a choice to make about what's more important to him. I was faced with a similar choice, and, like Heister, I stuck by my guns. But if you go down that road, then you should be prepared for where it will lead. I was, and I hope that he was too.
  • Baden
    Trolling, anti-semitic jokes, dick sucking comments, ignoring warnings,, laughing at being warned and so on. Again, most of the reason he's been banned has been deleted or happened by PM. It's unfortunate that people don't take that into consideration before jumping to the conclusion that we're draconian. We're not.
  • Erik
    That's what happens when you're not around for awhile :rofl:Agustino

Well I'm second-guessing myself now, but I'm almost positive I've seen him drop expletives here and there. I do it too occasionally. One possible difference, perhaps, is that I don't think he (Maw) directs them at others as insults.

Anyhow I'm bummed Buxte is gone as I felt he made some valuable contributions to this forum.

That's a good point though about making possible concessions to the idiosyncrasies of certain longstanding posters. Or even newer but high quality ones like my old friend, Thanatos Sand. But I also get the need to be consistent with the rules and not apply them selectively.
  • Agustino
    Well I'm second-guessing myself now, but I'm almost positive I've seen him drop expletives here and there.Erik
    Yeah, I just meant that I wasn't around, so I wouldn't know. I added to my post:

Maybe I was spared because I stopped posting roundabout when Maw made his return.Agustino
  • Shawn
    anti-semitic jokesBaden

Hmm, you guys must do an excellent job on covering that issue because that would be inconsistent with my mental picture of Buxte as he had a low view of Palestinians from a topic in the shoutbox that I followed and in my view started this whole issue. If true then it was a typical case of stopping a troll from getting his fix.

In other words, I agree with the decision given the above.
  • MiloL
    More clear indication that its all in ones TARDIS yet we continue to view existence as though everyone else shares our TARDIS. Never forget that even the person standing next to you will never see what you see.
  • Baden
    @Agustino

And there was discussion in the mod forum where the mod who banned Buxtebuddha asked several times if there were any objections. And this was the second time we had such discussions over the past year or so. The last time some mods stood up for Buxte and we didn't ban him. This time no one did and we did. It was an extended process. I might add that only about one in ten of Buxte's posts was of any quality at all imho, so I don't feel we've lost in that respect. Although, we have lost some diversity, I guess.
  • Shawn
    So, when are you becoming a mod, @Agustino?
  • Baden
    And before anyone asks, @Mr Phil O'Sophy asked us to ban him today because he wanted to leave the site. Eventually one of us granted the request. He wasn't warned of a banning and did nothing to deserve one and wasn't banned for disciplinary reasons.

EDIT: I see now that he announced it in the Shoutbox anyway.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.