• Phamph
    Hi everybody, I've been scouring the internet looking for a fun, interesting place to park my keyboard. This place won.
  • betsyforaer

Thanks, I meant that I post it elsewhere and they said it didn't develop a proper thesis. They didn't offer any constructive criticism so I'm looking to see if I can post it here.

But it's longer than the allotted amount of character space the forums allows for.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @allan wallace
    Nanu Nanu,
    Now that we have both aged ourselves Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!
    You are not by chance a blogger from Australia are you?
    Cheers
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @Phamph
    Welcome and Woo Hoo for us winning!
    Enjoy the ride~
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I understand. Maybe there is a way to offer up a brief snapshot of the thesis you have that would fit within the character limit?
  • allan wallace
    Nanu Nanu,
    Now that we have both aged ourselves Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!
    You are not by chance a blogger from Australia are you?
    Cheers
    ArguingWAristotleTiff

Nay Sir,

I'm too lazy and disorganised to be a 'blogger'. I'll confess to having never ever read a blog! I do live in Australia and I am a 51 year old that has made a career out of avoiding ever having a career! I have certainly served my penance in countless gulags being exploited in many different ways, and it grieveth my weary soul that I am expected to 'work' *sobs*.....I drive a taxi for a job. A despised occupation that enables me to dangle precariously near the bottom of the economic food chain.

Whilst ensconced in the confessional I'll get a few more dirty secrets off my chest...

*whispers warily* I have never been ambitious. I'd suggest that heretics from the Middle Ages would have endured less hostility than your correspondent on occasions when I've been unable to resist the temptation to infuriate a stentorian mob!

I have never comprehended rapacious materialism. I chose to reject all of that pointless striving and status seeking bullshit decades ago. Anything more than enough is too much, no?

I don't take anything too seriously, especially myself.

For a little while I studied ancient greek philosophy. I got bored. I went on a blitzkrieg through the nightclubs for a few years as I embraced hedonism and nihilism. That too became boring.

I ended up marrying an 'exotic dancer'. After 21 tumultuous years and 4 children we are still tenuously married.

I studied Religion and Philosophy for a couple of semesters before the boredom derailed me again....

I am a restless and mischievous child trapped in the expanding body of a 51 year old fool.

The more knowledge that i acquire the more i realise how little I know....

I hope that i haven't bored anybody into a coma....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :)
  • Shawn
    *whispers warily* I have never been ambitious. I'd suggest that heretics from the Middle Ages would have endured less hostility than your correspondent on occasions when I've been unable to resist the temptation to infuriate a stentorian mob!allan wallace

Oh how can I relate. I don't know how much I've obsessed in the past over this great "shortcoming". All this talk about potential and stuff, makes the head explode.
  • BC
    penance in countless gulags being exploited in many different waysallan wallace

I too was apparently destined or required to serve time in various air-conditioned brightly lit satanic mills of bureaucracy, wherein I was as unproductive as possible.

I have never been ambitious.allan wallace

I have been transitorily ambitious on several occasions. Ambition is a drag. Or a drug? It must have been blind ambition because so few of my efforts payed off.

I went on a blitzkrieg through the nightclubs for a few yearsallan wallace

I was more the occupying army. 1001 nights in a gay bar and what I saw there. (Some were standing, some were walking around. A minority were sitting down. Everyone was drinking; most people were smoking; some people weren't. Much longing and many unsatisfied desires. The odds? Good results 2.6 nights out of 7.
  • BC
    As James Thurber concluded at the end of the very short story, The Very Persistent Blood Hound, "The paths of glory at least lead to the grave; the paths of duty don't lead anywhere at all."

Welcome to THE Philosophy Forum. 51! I vaguely remember being 51. Decades ago.
  • BC
    Have I disclosed too much?allan wallace

I'm not embarrassed yet, so apparently not.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @Sum Dude
    Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!
    We are so glad you found us! It appears you are making quite the splash!
    Enjoy! :cool:
  • betsyforaer

I'll just rewrite the thesis with the same concept behind it and see if I can fit that in into the space allotted.

I've received some positive feedback since then so I'm more hopeful now.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I'll just rewrite the thesis with the same concept behind it and see if I can fit that in into the space allotted.

I've received some positive feedback since then so I'm more hopeful now.
    betsyforaer

Excellent! Keep reaching for the stars!
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @Uber
    Enjoy your stay~
  • AR LaBaere
    I am A.R. LaBaere.

I am an author whose main fascination lies within pessimistic nihilism and Cosmicism. Additionally, I am childfree. As I suffer from severe post-traumatic stress disorder, I seek to elucidate my horrors through fabrication into fiction.

Beyond and within the demesne of the literary, I adore intellectual giftedness. I prefer Machiavellianism as my method of conduct, and I make few moral scruples. Puissance and intelligence are my zenethic goals, and I put aside interpersonal interactions in my hajj.

I am quite proud of my first publication, Rene Descartes Does Not Exist. Fiction has offered to me both possibilities unjudged by historical accuracy, and a distortion of actual events. I immerse myself as fully in the surreal as I may, for realism and the actual holds ennui.

My literary influences include H.P. Lovecraft, Thomas Ligotti, Mark Z. Danielewski, and Jon Padgett. I keep a sacrosanct library idolatrized to the aforementioned authors, as well as to the finest horror fiction and nonfiction available. My library also houses The Oxford Guide to Philosophy, from whose pages I hope to gain a wider overview of positions.

I dedicate my efforts to the cultivation of every paracosm within reach, every possible reading, and every improvement of fluid intelligence. I practice The Method of Loci in order to arrange ideas, improve my working memory, and to cultivate a noetic phrontistery. The evolution of ’Pataphysics, as well as anti-consciousness and anti-logic, compose a good portion of my pieces and lucubration. I am also heavily invested into theoretical physics and abstract mathematics.

In the completion of The Abyss Laughs, I have discovered and cultivated an increased vocabulary, working memory, and recall. I am pleased to have grown increasingly aware of the English language, in its selection of phrases long desuete, literary phrases, and verbiage freshly coined. I hope to expand my array of proses into a separate dialect, or stylization, of literary allusions and wordplay.

My current philosophical aims include the refinement, and erudition, of ’Pataphysics, antilogic, antinatalism, and nihilistic pessimism. The works of Thomas Ligotti have been awing for my pessimistic studies. In particularity, The Conspiracy Against the Human Race has introduced me to an exemplary structuring of pessimistic concepts, as well as to pessimists such as E.M. Cioran and Georges Bataille.

As I have not yet mastered the precise definitions and variations of mode, I wish to gain a broader overview of metaphysics, epistemology, and ontology. Nothingness, paradoxes, and the unheimlichness of the human condition are key areas of obsession. I seek to combine absurdist fiction with new varieties of philosophy. I am not certain of the applications of fictional philosophies to existence, but I much prefer magical absurdity which is only sometimes bound by an arbitrary mode of laws.

I am quite eager to meet other vedists, and I wish to invite any willing parties to begin a correspondence.
  • TogetherTurtle
    Hello. I'm a bit young for a philosopher I'd say, but it's never too early I suppose.
    I've held interest in philosophy for many years, but I've found it hard to discuss it with my peers or mentors I've had over the years. Maybe it's growing up in the american midwest, but no one seems to really care about the questions no one has answered around here. A pity I suppose, but they are happy, and I'm the one seeking out what I cannot find, so I suppose I may be the fool.

I enjoy applying philosophy to political ideals and my fever dream is to create a perfect government, though the process is full of potential hypocrisy at times and the road is very long. The young dream big I suppose

While I'm not particularly fluent in all of the vocabulary around here, I intend to lay low and learn a bit before I start applying my ideas. It's the least I can do for a forum based around the very ideals I hold close to my heart; logic, wisdom, discovery, freedom of discussion, and exploration of the unknown.
  • Pattern-chaser
    Hello. I just arrived here, and would like to learn all about this forum. I am 63, cis male, a retired firmware architect, an autist, a father, a husband, a lifelong music lover (almost anything except opera), a Gaian Daoist (i.e. a tree-hugging hippy), and a committed armchair philosopher.

It's particularly important to me to find a forum where a diverse array of topics can be discussed. I just left a forum after 12 pointless years, when I finally had to accept that topics that were not science-based were considered 'nonsense', and their discussion was actively opposed, by trolling, insults, and so on. [Being autistic, my perception is acute in some ways, and non-existent in others. That's why it took me 12 years....] So I like to discuss science, but I also like to discuss (say) metaphysics, or human-oriented socio-cultural stuff (from a philosophical point of view, of course ;) ).

Am I in the right place? :chin: :wink:
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @TogetherTurtle
    You are never too young, but if I may ask, what is considered too young these days?
    Enjoy your stay~
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @Pattern-chaser
    I do hope you enjoy our forum~
  • TogetherTurtle
    17. Most of the philosophers I know a lot about are dead, so I suppose in comparison that's young. I'm just glad people still talk about philosophy to be honest.
  • Kamikaze Butter
    Got my major in Computer Engineering, but was just as proud, if not more proud, of my minor in philosophy.

Looking for a place to be exposed to different points of views and ideas, where the participants are more nuanced in their ability to discuss a topic. News message boards just do not fit the bill.
  • Pattern-chaser
    Wow! I envy you! :smile: I would have loved to include Philosophy as a minor, versus the Electronics that was my major. It wasn't possible then (1975-78) in my university. Maybe it is now? :chin:
  • Pattern-chaser
    ...a forum based around the very ideals I hold close to my heart; logic, wisdom, discovery, freedom of discussion, and exploration of the unknown
    Oh, I do hope so! You have the right aims, I think, and I hope this forum supports and nurtures them. I'm optimistic that it does. Time will tell, for both of us (I'm new here too).
  • TogetherTurtle
    The future is built upon the mistakes of the past, and the blueprint of philosophy. It's too bad that people ignore the latter nowadays. The future of humanity rests in our hands, and for that, I am optimistic as well. I'll see you around the forum, I'm sure!
  • Kamikaze Butter
    I graduated in 99, so things seemed to have changed.

The head of the department had to approve it. He asked me why I wanted to do it, as it would not help me make money. I told him I was not worried about money, just the experience.

Looking back, it might have been a test.
  • Pattern-chaser
    If it was a test, I think you passed! :up:
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @Fool
    Enjoy your stay~
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @Kamikaze Butter
    We are glad you are here~
  • Ron Besdansky
    I've just joined the Forum. I am 69 years old and have a scientific/engineering background.
    My reason for joining is to establish contact with others who are interested in what I consider the most important question one can ask:
    "How (and why) did human beings come to be able to know so much about how the Universe works?"
    I appreciate that asking "why" presupposes that there has to be a reason, which implies a higher level of existence. About that, I don't know at all. When I read about progress in mathematics or physics, I find it so amazing that our knowledge of such subjects can be so deep and complex. I appreciate that evolution happens very slowly, but I don't see how knowing a quark from a boson can help make it any more likely that I will survive to produce more offspring.
    I hope there are others out there who have pondered this same issue, and perhaps have thoughts about it that they can contribute. There may well be existing discussions going on in the Forum, but I haven't been able to find any.

17 days later: Now wondering why I haven't had any responses???? Have I posted in the wrong place???

Thanks
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet