• kostas
    So, i have been reading lately a bit of Kant(critique of practical reason and groundwork of the metaphysics of morals,just so you know approximately where i am standing).One big problem that may seem to arise from his theory is that it is too strict.It relys so much in practical reason that it enforces humans to forget,succesfully,their aesthetics and act rationaly through the categorical imperative.Kant's opinion is that you have the right to do it,as you can imagine yourself being in a world which aesthetics can't affect you.So,my main point is that he overcomes this problem but his theory, inevitable, carrys a characteristic which enables a clarity in acting ethically ,but, at the same time has to be applied to aesthetic beings.It's like this theory makes sense in a world where reason dictates ,but there are so many factors to think of when you suddenly fall into reality.Because we find ourselves being in situations where it is so hard to act according to this mentality,does this actually prove we should forget about it?
  • tim wood
    I've come to understand that the rigour in Kant lies in the theory, but that where the rubber meets the road, or you "fall into reality," application is more in the way of an art.

Because we find ourselves being in situations where it is so hard to act according to this mentality,does this actually prove we should forget about it?kostas

I'm sure you meant a somewhat different question. After some thought, I realize that I cannot know for sure what your question is (only you can ask your question), and, if you take the trouble to think your question through to the point where you can ask it more intelligibly, then likely you will find your answer.

Why a different form of your question? Its present form is, Because I find X difficult, does that prove I can forget about about X? I think you can see that's not really a good guide to answering what I imagine i a deeper question.
  • kostas
    Where is the problem?
  • tim wood
    Try substituting various things for the "X" above, and re-reading your question. For example, "Because I find obeying the law difficult, does that prove I can forget about the the law?" You ought to see a problem with that; in particular, you ought to see a problem with the form of the question.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment