@Johnny Public
    Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!
    What part of Chicago are you from?
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @ProcastinationTomorrow
    Enjoy your stay ~
  • ProcastinationTomorrow
    Thanks - I'm already learning and enjoying.
  • Fool
    Sup. I’m just a nobody searching for decent conversation. I had a nice philosophy phase some years ago, studied a few hallmarks of the analytic school. It got too specialized for a hobbyist to follow, so I’m a tad superficial. Looking forward to some debate.

Maybe this attitude is typical of amateurs, but I think Quine’s legacy is underrated. I think PWS is a beautiful disaster. Whether race exists depends on how you define it. Successful science tells us how the world really is. I think a weak form of logicism is true. Searle has a solid account of linguistic meaning. Consciousness I really can’t understand. There’s too much emphasis on logic in the philosophy of time. Most the people I’ve heard criticize Rawls clearly didn’t read him carefully.

Meh, just some rambling before bed. Hello, everyone.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @Fool
    We are glad you are here!
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @Codger
    Enjoy your stay~
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @iolo
  • iolo
    Thanks ArguingWAristotleTiff.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @tiffany
    We are glad you are here~
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @MetaphysicsNow
    Enjoy your stay~
  • AlmostOutlier
    Hi, I'm AlmostOutlier which isn't meant to somehow suggest I'm above average, just that I've never quite fit in. Moderately odd you could say. I won't say that the details of my life are inconsequential, considering they are part of what makes me, me. However they aren't very interesting, so I'll skip the whole, this is what happened and as a consequence this is who I believe I am thing. If I could tell you who and what I exactly am, life wouldn't be so problematic, would it? I joined this forum because I want somewhere to write down and express my thoughts and get feedback on them. Hopefully as a result, becoming a slightly better person. The truth is, other people are necessary, and I need them, as much as I loathe to admit it. So because human connection is necessary both for survival, psychological well being and growth. I have one more reason to join the forum. Anyhow, hi, again, attempting to write in a grammatically correct fashion is taxing, so I hope there's a chill spot on this forum I can go to. I can't stand always sounding like I have a stick irreversibly lodged in my ass. Am I allowed to swear? Wouldn't want to rob any middle aged men of their well cultivated innocence, now would I? Heaven forbid the kids hear, wouldn't want them throwing F-bombs while they watch people impaled on the television.
  • Shawn
    Heaven forbid the kids hear, wouldn't want them throwing F-bombs while they watch people impaled on the television.AlmostOutlier

This is golden.

Welcome!
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Anyhow, hi, again, attempting to write in a grammatically correct fashion is taxing, so I hope there's a chill spot on this forum I can go to. I can't stand always sounding like I have a stick irreversibly lodged in my ass.AlmostOutlier

Hiya AlmostOutlier and welcome!
    The chillest place is also the place where some of the best conversations take place and that is in the "Shoutbox" thread. Feel free to jump into the conversation! As far as swearing is concerned, as long as your posts are not laden with them for no real purpose, you should be okay.
    Enjoy your stay~
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @Rank Amateur
    We are glad you are here.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @SherlockH
    Enjoy your stay ~
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @chatterbears
  • Ron Cram
    Hello all. I'm Ron. Today's my birthday but gifts are not necessary.

I'm married to a wonderful lady who loves me in spite of my faults, which we won't go into here. I'm the father of three adults who are all married and successful and have their own children. My greatest success in life is as a father.

I consider myself a budding philosopher of science, although at my age it may be too late to bloom. I'm working on a new approach to epistemology that I call Livable Epistemology. It doesn't depend on presuppositions and so is not circular. If I ever get it into publishable shape, I will let you know.

My philosophical interests are epistemology, logic, philosophy of science, philosophy of life and a minor interest in political philosophy.

Some of my favorite philosophers are Aristotle (yes, his physics are terrible but he's right about many things), Augustine (quite impressive in a number of areas even though he read Plato), Thomas Aquinas (I tend to agree with him more often than not), Blaise Pascal, John Locke, Isaac Newton, Karl Popper, Thomas Kuhn and C.S. Lewis.

Philosophers I dislike include Plato (for thinking it's a good thing for government to take children from their parents), David Hume (for his attack on Newton's Law of Cause and Effect), George Hegel and Karl Marx (obvious reasons), Nietzsche (he's so depressing), Wittgenstein (he never explained why he couldn't find the hippopotamus in the room), and Jacques Derrida (pseudo-philosophy - I've never seen obit writers so overjoyed at someone's death).

I hope we can learn from each other!
  • Baden

Thanks for the intro, Ron, and welcome! :smile:
  • MrMerk
    Hello All.

I just joined this morning. Thought I should say hello.

So hello.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff

Hiya MrMerk!
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @Gord
    We are glad you are here!
  • SherlockH
    Thank you, perhaps ill stay here awhile. :)
  • MrMerk
    Thank you. I'll be digging and lurking for a while, in an attempt to not just BLEH out words.
    Nice to find a place online though where the conversation is more than Yanny or Laurel.

Godspeed.
  • betsyforaer
    Hello, I like to write philosophical musings. I like to participate in debates but I'm currently going through a period where I like to write more than read.

I have questions about postings. Are there site resources for FAQ?

One post I made is too long and I had to upload it to medium. Not sure if I can start a thread and link to it. Also, I received some negative feedback on the post although I wrote in earnest. Hopefully that's not a problem.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @betsyforaer'
    Receiving negative feedback is not a problem. How you handle that negative feedback is what matters. Is it a fair opinion? Is it an idea that you didn't already entertain? Consider what the person is saying and respond or move on. Most importantly, don't take things personally unless they are said directly to you~
  • allan wallace
    Nanu Nanu,

Greetings from an intractable cynic and habitual sceptic that can be found wringing hands and clenching teeth in The Antipodes....I do not apologise in advance to those that will invariably take umbrage at any of my ruminations, for it seems to be a basic human right to take offence, no? I have the right to be as offended as anybody else, and let it be noted that what i am offended by is as irrelevant as what anybody else might be offended by.

I have been raging against the machine for so long now it bores me *yawn*....

In no particular order i am a chronic underachiever, shameless procrastinator, husband, daydreamer, misfit, father, work shirker, and a sworn enemy of ennui. For the record i no longer do drugs, i have placed a lifetime alcohol ban on myself, and I have been emancipated from the yoke of nicotine addiction. If I was respectable i could almost be considered something of a Puritan...

The absurdities of life fascinate me. People generally bore or horrify me...anyway, that is enough for now.

Have I disclosed too much?

Allan Wallace.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube