• T Clark
    I haven't dropped the ball; no one seems to want to add a new rule.Noble Dust

See, @Banno, ND is something of a deist also.
  • Noble Dust

What do you expect me to do, descend to Earth in human form and dish out a bunch of rules that have nothing to do with each other, like we find here in the game?
  • T Clark
    What do you expect me to do, descend to Earth in human form and dish out a bunch of rules that have nothing to do with each other, like we find here in the game?Noble Dust

You're right. You are Da Man. It is unseemly for me to question your wisdom. Please forgive your worthless lickspittle.
  • Noble Dust

Provide us with rule #4 to redeem yourself.
  • T Clark
    Rule 4 - The game will be over when 50% of the posters who have proposed new rules within the past 24 hours proclaim that the game is over, whether or not those rules are accepted by Da Man.
  • Noble Dust
    whether or not those rules are accepted by Da Man.T Clark

Woah, you can do that?
  • T Clark

Geez, ND, don't you get this? You get to decide whether the new rule is acceptable.

Two choices - pick a direction for the game, or let it die.
  • Banno
    Dude, I give you all my power and you ask
  • T Clark
    Dude, I give you all my power and you askBanno

Remember @Noble Dust, with meaningless power comes meaningless responsibility.
  • Noble Dust

I don't want to limit the game, so I reject rule #4.
  • Noble Dust

True leaders
    are hardly known to their followers.

When the work's done right,
    with no fuss or boasting,
    ordinary people say,
    Oh, we did it.

-Tao Te Ching p. 24
  • T Clark

I propose a new Rule 4 - If no one has proposed a new rule within 12 hours of the most recently accepted one, Da Man shall assign responsibility for proposing a new rule. If the person to whom the responsibility has been assigned does not respond within 12 hours, Da Man shall promulgate a new rule him/herself. If Da Man does not meet this requirement. The game is over.
  • T Clark
    True leaders
    are hardly known to their followers.

When the work's done right,
    with no fuss or boasting,
    ordinary people say,
    Oh, we did it.

-Tao Te Ching p. 24
    Noble Dust

I know Lao Tzu. Lao Tzu was a friend of mine. You're no Lao Tzu.

@Bitter Crank or @TimeLine - please explain this paraphrase to ND.
  • Noble Dust

I like that rule.

But I don't consider it one of my duties to deny or accept every rule. I only did so this time because it was requested of me.
  • Noble Dust

I await enlightenment, then.
  • T Clark
    But I don't consider it one of my duties to deny or accept every rule. I only did so this time because it was requested of me.Noble Dust

Then chaos reigns and I wash my hands.
  • Noble Dust

You always knew I would never become a despot. You said I would be fair. And yet now you demand tyranny. You've "washed your hands" before, and yet you always come back, thirsting for rule after rule. If you could only see yourself for who you are, you would be freed from this need. I await the creation of rules like a baby awaiting an unknown future she could never conceive of; I wear rules on my person like Tom Bombadil wore The One Ring.

Anyways, I'm off to see the new Star Wars movie, wish me luck. Hope it doesn't suck.
  • T Clark
    Then chaos reigns and I wash my hands.T Clark

Let me rephrase that - Inertia reigns and I wash my hands.
  • Sir2u
    Rule 4.1
    He who talks a lot, has many posts without rules contained there in, has to post a rule for each of the posts that poster made that does not contain a rule.

Rule 4.2
    The Lord of the Game has the power to authorize any further venality he see fit for those posters that talk too much as defined in Rule 4.1. Including himself.
  • Noble Dust
    He who talks a lot,Sir2u

How is that measured? And would quantity of rules automatically be a good thing?

Rule 4.2 seems meaningless.
  • Noble Dust
    By the way, Star Wars was pretty ok.
  • T Clark

Rule 4.1
    He who talks a lot, has many posts without rules contained there in, has to post a rule for each of the posts that poster made that does not contain a rule.
    Sir2u

Even though Da Man has not ruled on the acceptability of this rule, I will proceed to address it's requirements. I count 14 posts that I have made that do not propose rules. I will therefore propose 14 rules. I will designate them Rule 5-1 through 5-14 in order to make them easy to keep track of:

Rule 5-1: From now on, August 12 will be designated Jagged Edges Day. On that day, the wisdom of Charles Surber will be celebrated.

Rule 5-2: All rules established after Rule 5-14 shall be kind and reasonable.

Rule 5-3: For Rule 6 and all additional rules, on odd numbered days, only people with even numbered birthdays may propose rules.

Rule 5-4: For Rule 6 and all additional rules, on even numbered days, only people with odd numbered birthdays may propose rules.

Rule 5-5: The word "pontificate" may not be used in any rule.

Rule 5-6: Rule 6 must be expressed in no more than 5 words.

Rule 5-7: After Rule 6, all rules must be expressed in five words or more.

Rule 5-8: No rule may be promulgated to ridicule, exclude, or humiliate any participant in the game.

Rule 5-9: The purpose of the game will be to help people understand why people play games and the philosophical consequences of playing.

Rule 5-10: No one who doesn't want to play the game will be criticized. This includes people who have participated but choose no longer to.

Rule 5-11: If Da Man uses the phrase "ha ha," at any time in this discussion, all the rules designated Rule 5-1 through 5-14 shall no longer apply.

Rule 5-12: Rules proposed by Sir2U will no longer be considered legitmate.

Rule 5-13: God will not have his will made manifest by cowards.

Rule 5-14: No rule going forward shall require T Clark to propose additional rules, although he may if he chooses.
  • Banno
    You left out the comma.

"ha ha,"T Clark

:-}
  • Noble Dust

Damn, looks like those rules haven't been voided, then.
  • Pseudonym

This is brilliant, I've spent the morning reading this instead of preparing for work, it's like a real life version of 'Lord of the Flies'.

Start an amusing game of lateral thinking and watch it descend into sectarianism and a desperate attempt to get other people to take responsibility for reigning-in oppression rather than escape from it ourselves.

This should definitely form part of some social psychology paper.
  • T Clark

No, you’re thinking of Lord of the Dance.
  • Sir2u
    Rule 4.2 seems meaningless.Noble Dust

Why?
  • Sir2u
    Rule 5-12: Rules proposed by Sir2U will no longer be considered legitmate.T Clark

Bollucks.
  • Sir2u
    Rule 6
    Sir2u's rules need no considering.

Explanation of 5 word rule.
    My rules are so fantastic they are automatically implemented, thus no need to consider them at all.
123456Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.