• william strom
    http://www.seekingvirtueandwisdom.com/epictetus-discourses-blog-2/
    Epictetus tells us of someone who stole his lamp one night, he got the better end of the exchange.  For Epictetus only lost his lamp, but he kept his faith.  The man who stole his lamp, in exchange for the lamp he consented to become a thief, becoming faithless.

http://www.seekingvirtueandwisdom.com/musonius-rufus-stoic-philosopher-forgiveness-and-obedience/
    Musonius Rufus with his student Epictetus often spoke of forgiveness and obedience and living a godly life.
    Do you think that Stoic Philosophy prepare the world for the coming of Christ?
  • Larynx
    Given the heavily religious overtones of both of those blogs and the leading structure of the question, I'm going to selectively choose to read your question as, "did Stoic thought prepare the European world for Christianity as a philosophical doctrine and did stoicism have a notable influence upon Christianity?"

In which case the answer is: probably a decent amount. But we have a few things to keep in mind when looking at that sort of history. First - it's not altogether clear that stoicism, as a school of thought, maintained the levels of cohesion we might find in Zeno and Posidonius (by way of Xenocrates) and some of the immediate post-Socratics including Epictetus. The other consideration is that elements of stoic thought appear in waves throughout Christian literature (and in Christian attempts to secularize various learned literature) well into the 17th Century - see Michel Montaigne's writings for an excellent example. What we can very clearly say is that something that looks like stoic thought or good faith variations on stoicism made their way into Christian theological writing and held a specific place in the ethical and metaphysical claims of Christianity.

Part of the problem in separating out where or when Christianity would have began to take on more stoic philosophical traditions is that there is no clear delineation when stoicism gained philosophical traction external to Christianity - determining where best to parse these two out historically is difficult to ascertain. A chief issue is that a large amount of Greek thought made its way into early Christian canon and appears to have acted as a kind of lingua franca (a philosophia franca, perhaps?) during the Carolingian Empire. Or, to be more clear, the developing bisphophics seemed to have held some similar philosophical traditions that allowed them to exchange ideas within sermons and strengthen those common ideas via the myriad of ecumenical councils that began to take on the business of unifying Christian theological doctrine. A lot of this shared philosophical background, of course, is owed to the strength of Socratic and Aristotelian thought popularized in Rome and making it's way into the seminal works of Tertullian and, later, Augustine.

Given all that it is, perhaps, unsurprising that we find stoic elements in the development of Christianity. Both have some origins in the pains and toils of the lower class (despite Aurelius' noteworthy attempts to bring stoicism in-line with a more broad patriotic and nationalist sentiment). Certain aspects within the stoic school deal with similar types of ethical issues found within Christian ideas of virtue. In all likelihood the potential plebeian popularity and applicability of stoic ideas probably commingled with the phasing out of the rabbinic facets of early Christianity and this was bolstered and perpetuated by a burgeoning Roman clergy who were thinking about and discussing Christian philosophy in the more common Greek philosophical vernacular they were accustomed to.
  • BC
    A nice comprehensive response.

What is your background?
  • Larynx
    Thank you, I appreciate it. Without going into too much excruciating detail: I'm in academia; I am currently a research fellow and lecturer for a university in the U.S. I studied philosophy, history, and political economics for a long time though my current position is technically couched within the field of political theory.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment