• MysticMonist
    The concept of heaven and hell has always been such an illogical concept. Heaven sounds great, but how great could something possibly be for all eternity?Moises

Do you mean possibly happy for all eternity?
    In our current state/psychology it would not be possible I agree.

It’s an excellent point that I reject hell but don’t really have a theory of heaven. I think I really need one. In order to be a universalist I shouldn’t just take a stance of anti-hell.

Thanks for pointing this out, I’ll have to think about it...
  • Moises

The issue with Heaven is the fact that it lacks mental substance. Are we who we are today or something entirely different? Is heaven actually an eternity of happiness? If so, then what is its purpose? The fact that we can feel different emotions, have different experiences and learn through lifes obstacles in search of a consistent state of happiness, that gives us purpose. If our work was done for us to be happy, then we wouldn't be. Its a bit of a paradox.
  • AlexGreat
    That's a perfect argument. Very well constructed. Just one minor flaw. If we apply the same argument to our contemporary life which admittedly is not perfect and is sometimes hell - how will that work our. Does God suffer with us? Actually maybe God does enjoy the diversity of our joys and sorrows in our pursuit of the divine or happiness?
  • MysticMonist
    Just one minor flaw. If we apply the same argument to our contemporary life which admittedly is not perfect and is sometimes hell - how will that work our. Does God suffer with us? Actually maybe God does enjoy the diversity of our joys and sorrows in our pursuit of the divine or happiness?AlexGreat

So yes, God probably does enjoy watching us finding our way back to Him (Kabbalah and Gnosticism are big on these themes).
    But human misery during life is temporary. So God knows it’s temporary and takes an eternal perspective. He knows one day we won’t still suffer.
    I see this being the only way to explain a good God that creates or allows childhood cancer for instance or allows starvation.
    This works for me as a theoretical ascetic in that I try to renounce worldly desires and ambitions. I say theoretical because I don’t know how well I put this into practice. Though if the goal is actually to be poor and destitute that in and of itself takes the stress out of paying bills!
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet