• Banno
    I suspect this is a better dimension along which to plot political allegiances than the usual left/right or Authoritarian/ libertarian dimensions.

c1c2170f-f039-4c84-adb8-d031c6a58acb.jpeg

The issue of course is that the casual Trump voter will not admit to not returning the cart. Nor wear a mask.
    1. I return the shopping: (22 votes)
        Always
        68%
        Usually
        14%
        Sometimes
        14%
        Never
          5%
  • frank
    There are Trump supporters in New Zealand. So bizarre.
  • tim wood
    The point is that picking up the carts is someone's job. It is therefore no great curtesy to eliminate it. When you go to a restaurant do you help the waiter or waitress clear? Or as a guest at a dinner, go into the kitchen and clean up? And it has nothing to do with any sort of entitlement, but everything to do with recognizing which cog you are in a machine, understanding your function, and not gratuitously screwing up.
  • frank

Especially if the guy who gets the carts has downs syndrome. Don't mess with that guy's job. But if you must, remember to wipe the handle down with disinfectant so you don't spread the plague.
  • tim wood
    When a lad, grocery store help was mainly boys about 15 years old. Now at the grocery stores in my region (Eastern Massachusetts), there is an astonishing amount of grey hair and advanced age. Also many other adults of all ages. There is no need to make a religion of either returning or not returning carts; and there is a civil function: one's cart ought not obstruct anything. But the prerogative is management's. Some stores have devices that require a coin to get a cart, only returning the coin when the cart is returned. The second paragraph of the above clip in the OP being nonsense.
  • frank
    When a lad, grocery store help was mainly boys about 15 years old. Now at the grocery stores in my region (Eastern Massachusetts), there is an astonishing amount of grey hair and advanced age. Also many other adults of all ages. There is no need to make a religion of either returning or not returning carts; and there is a civil function: one's cart ought not obstruct anything. But the prerogative is management's. Some stores have devices that require a coin to get a cart, only returning the coin when the cart is returned. The second paragraph of the above clip in the OP being nonsense.tim wood

Oh. Where I am there's a little area where you put your cart after you unload your stuff into your car. I thought he was talking about pushing it back into the store. The only people around here who take carts are kids who use them to play with. They push each other around in them. Ride them down hills, crack their skulls, all the usual stuff.
  • Janus
    If shopping carts are left scattered around waiting for those whose job it is to put them where they belong, then inconvenience will be cause to those attempting to park, so your argument is both inapt and inept.
  • Kenosha Kid
    The point is that picking up the carts is someone's job. It is therefore no great curtesy to eliminate it.tim wood

Maybe it's different where you are, but here it's no one's sole job to collect carts. That's one of many things they have to do. You savage animal.
  • 180 Proof
    Usually. :halo:
  • thewonder

I am one of those "someone's". Our job is to collect the shopping carts from the corrals and bring them back to the store and not to collect them from some parking space fifty yards away from one of the corrals. I also agree with the original post entirely.
  • Rxspence
    With the number of murderers, rapists, and thieves that we pass on the street on any given day?
    I fear the rage directed at benign actions!
    It blinds us to the question, ''Which organized crime family did you vote for?''
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.