• Ansiktsburk
    Seems like general agenda here on this forum is to discuss different isms and develop ones logical arguability. Or American politics. I am however, philosophically interested but not educated, more interested in discussing “lighter” philosophy. Having discovered philosophy at well over 40 yo I have read, in my spare time, quite extensively. General Philosophy, some original works, Plato’s dialogues, some original works, mostly musts like Heideggers and Wittgensteins most famous works, Nozick and Rawls works on Political Philosophy. And so. Analytical Philosophy, logic, getting deep into the world of arguments of that kind is beyond my limited time.

What I find most pleasure in is in reading the more popular books by thinkers and philophers. I read Pinker’s Enlightenment Now last year, now half way through my fellow countryman Hägglund’s This Life(Vårt Enda Liv in his maiden uncouth language). I live in a community where people do not read philosophy, rather discusses achievements in terms of fixing ones house, ones childrens achievements as young adults, Corona strategies or american politics. So I have few people to share my reading experiences with.

I would dearly love to find the places on internet where people can discuss books like the ones I have read, not from a point of view of having read every word of Marx or Kierkegaard, rather comparing with ones own experiences from life. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
  • Jack Cummins

I would think that this site is a good one for discussing philosophy books. Of course, there is the possibility that others may not have read the book but that would quite possibly be the case even if you were using the site.

What I would think that you could do, bearing in mind that others might not have read the book which you have, is write a short review of a book and, in this way, enable others to discuss the main ideas in the book.

I am sorry if this suggests is helpful, but I am and hopefully some others, might be interested in discussing ideas in philosophy books, including current ones.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.