• TheMadFool
    First, some definitions and set operations to take care of:

1. Nothing = Not anything = N

2. { } = The empty set = { }

3. A n B = The intersection of sets A and B

4. A u B = The union of sets A and B

5. A' = The complement of set A

6. H is a subset of A iff all the elements of set H are in set A

Suppose now that there's a universe U with only 4 things viz. v, w, x, and y. Suppose also that v and w are form the set A and x and y form the set B as below,

7. A = {v, w}

8. B = {x, y}

9. T = The universal set = A u B = {v, w, x, y}

10. In U, Nothing, as the definition asserts, is not v and not w and not x and not y. Basically, in terms of sets, Nothing is not A and not B.

Now,

not A = A' = {x, y}

not B = B' = {v, w}

Nothing = not A and not B = A' n B' = {x, y} n {v, w} = { } = not v and not w and not x and not y.

11. A' n B' = { }

However,

12. A' n B' yields the set whose elements are those that are common to both A' and B'. We now know that Nothing ( N ) is common to both A' and B'. In other words,

13. A' = {x, y, N}

and

14. B' = {v, w, N} and since N is common to both A' and B',

15. A' n B' ={N}

16. { } = {N} The empty set contains Nothing ( N ) [From 11 and 13]

17. (A u B)' = [{x, y, N} u {v, w, N}] ' = {v, w, x, y, N}'

and

18. (A u B)' = A' n B' (DeMorgan's law)

Therefore,

19. {v, w, x, y, N}' = {N} (from 15, 17, and 18)

Statement 19 is a paradox because the complement of a set can't contain an element that's in that set but in this case the element N = Nothing is both in the set (A u B) and also in (A u B)'. The Nothing-Empty Set Paradox.

P.S. To those who object to line 16. { } = {N}, remember that the empty set, { }, is a subset of every set and that means it must have an element that's in every other set. The only element that fits the bill is Nothing = N
  • khaled
    You have an element that is literally defined as not-any-element. Of course weird things will happen. N is not an element. So this doesn't hold.
    the complement of a set can't contain an element that's in that setTheMadFool
  • Philosophim

I think you are not including all that is needed for this to make sense.

13. A' = {x, y, N} should be written as A' = {v', w', N} because the negation of A, is the negation of v and w, with the inclusion of N. Point 14 would need the same adjustment. The negation of A does not mean the inclusion of B in logic. To do this, you would need to include steps that include the universal set as well in your equation, which you do not.

The compliment to A' would then be retranslated as A = {v, w, N'}. Same with B.

So with the adjustements of 13 and 14, that leaves 15 still correct, that the negation of both A and B includes N.

But, if you are unifying A and B, then you would get {v, w, x, y, N' }

If you negate both A and B, this translates to
    {v, w, x, y, N'}' = {v', w', x', y', N} without any paradox to my mind.
  • jgill
    I think it's really something that you are still in pursuit of nothing! Keep up the good work. To many this means nothing, but they are wrong, it is something! :cool:
  • fishfry
    I got plenty of nothing
    And nothing's plenty for me
    I got no car - got no mule
    I got no misery
    Folks with plenty of plenty
    They've got a lock on the door
    Afraid somebody's gonna rob 'em
    While there out (a) making more - what for
    I got no lock on the door - that's no way to be
    They can steal the rug from the floor - that's OK with me
    'Cause the things that I prize - like the stars in the skies - are all free
    I got plenty of nothing
    And nothing's plenty for me
    I got my gal - got my song
    (I) Got heaven the whole day long
    - Got my gal - got my love - got my song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx1YfQF0WNQ
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.