• JSM
    I'm trying to read Philosophy - Aesthetics. I've started with Paul Oskar Kristeller - The Modern System of the Arts.

I've only read the first 3 quarters of the article and only read once (I think I should go over it a couple of times - Philosophers seem to write as though they don't want anyone to understand what they are saying haha ;-) ).

He seems to basically say - Art didn't exist as we know it before around the 1700-1800's or so. Before that, people didn't think of it as art. "Art" as we know it, was divided up and grouped in with other disciplines.

Later - things like music, poetry and painting got grouped together into "art".

I also read that basically - people read his article and just assumed he was correct and so went along believing his work. More recently, his view is being challenged though.

Have I understood him correctly? Is my take on his article a fair one?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.