• NICH0
    HI,

I'm relatively new to studying philosophy and I found that there is one topic that has always intrigued me and confused me more than the rest. This topic is thinking about what the origins of consciousness are, like how we developed one or who it was given to us by, and the plain on which it exists, meaning whether it's a completely physical sensation or something greater/spiritual.

I would love to hear other's thoughts on the matter since I haven't exactly developed my own thoughts or philosophy on it yet. In addition, if you know of any readings that go into detail over this subject please feel free to recommend them.

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated!
  • Raul

I recommend you Daniel Dennett's books or if you want to get more technical Stanislas Dehaene.
  • I smite u

I find this just as intriguing as you do! I wouldn't say that our conciousness was given to us by a higher being, but more that we gave it to ourselves. How do we even know that this is some special ability? Is there really a "special" in this universe? According to Grant Bertram, consciousness is not in the neutral state, since it is individual to everyone it cannot be proven to actually exist. Yet the idea of being conscious seems to be had by, I would say, pretty much all people. To quote Bertram on this:
    "It is unseen and unheard by everyone but the thinker, tossed around and formed by shared realities and seen as a divine ability- because we made it such."
    I personally don't think that we will ever get behind the secret of consciousness but that makes it even better to think about it anyway.
  • Raul
    If you read contemporary neuroscientists like Dehaene, Northoff, Tononi you will certainly change your mind.
    We start to understand consciousness in ways we would have not guess 30 years ago.
    Heterophenomenology and neuro imaging technics are showing us our hidden inner universe.
    This brings us new powers, new dangers... but it is what it is... we will be able to manipulate and even create artificial consciousness sooner or later.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.