• Thinking
    I can't help but see that the universe is comprised of a union of opposites, namely the principle of duality. you can pretty much break down the universe into what exists and what doesn't, and there needs to be a fine balance of both in order for there to even be the working, functioning, living universe as a whole. Then, what created this harmonious balance? I think that is a secret among secrets. For if known then whatever entity in the Universe (be it man or something else) would be able to divide this undivided universe of ours and create their own potential Universes.
    Nonetheless, if we wanted to know at least a partial of an answer to this question I think there is much to be gained in trying to perhaps branch the duality tree even more into what are the union of opposites comprising existence and non-existence in order to further get an idea of what those two principles are. So how would you divide existence/nonexistence further, while following the duality of all things? Is there perhaps a better definition and/or word to explain these two principles? These questions and more are to be reasoned in this discussion.
  • MondoR
    I do agree that the Universe is comprised by the union of opposites. This idea appears in many philosophies of many cultures.

I do not think, however, it is a fine balance. Instead, I believe the Universe is always in a natural balance as a flowing river. At times, there may be disruption, such as a dam stopping there flow of water, but in time, the dam will be overcome, and ther natural balance returns.
  • PoeticUniverse
    a union of oppositesThinking

Yes, there's perhaps a deep union behind the balance of opposites, some even as a zero sum.

1. The negative potential energy of gravity matches/cancels the positive kinetic energy of stuff.

2. Two matter particles in free space, oppositely charged (another balance), the electron and the proton, and their antiparticles (another balance). Note that neutrons in free space decay in about 12 minutes. One energy particle, the photon, which is its own antiparticle or one could say it has none. Only those number of ways to make them in this curious symmetry, due to…?

3. The net electric charge of the universe appears to be zero.

More?
  • philosopher004
    I can't help but see that the universe is comprised of a union of opposites, namely the principle of duality. you can pretty much break down the universe into what exists and what doesn't, and there needs to be a fine balance of both in order for there to even be the working, functioning, living universe as a whole. Then, what created this harmonious balance? I think that is a secret among secrets. For if known then whatever entity in the Universe (be it man or something else) would be able to divide this undivided universe of ours and create their own potential Universes.Thinking

I think opposites exist but they are just the extremes of a gradient. Just like the colors that appear between black and white I think there are intermediates our human brain can't grasp. We have to remind ourselves that although we may perceive the extremes of a gradient that doesn't mean the things in between do not exist.
  • Gnomon
    the universe into what exists and what doesn't,Thinking
    So, you're saying that the universe consists of the duality of, a> what exists, and b> what doesn't exist? What form does that non-existent stuff take? Those are truly opposites, but one takes on material form, and the other immaterial. Could that invisible element be Mind Stuff? :smile:
  • Thinking
    I am thinking that the duality of non-existence lies in space and vacuum. while existence comprises of matter and energy.
  • Thinking
    I do not think, however, it is a fine balance. Instead, I believe the Universe is always in a natural balance as a flowing river. At times, there may be disruption, such as a dam stopping there flow of water, but in time, the dam will be overcome, and ther natural balance returns.MondoR

Nature itself when left alone (from our imbalanced actions that lead towards the non-existence or anti-rationality side of the spectrum), will eventually lead itself into homeostasis or a balance of energies.
  • Thinking
    1. The negative potential energy of gravity matches/cancels the positive kinetic energy of stuff.

2. Two matter particles in free space, oppositely charged (another balance), the electron and the proton, and their antiparticles (another balance). Note that neutrons in free space decay in about 12 minutes. One energy particle, the photon, which is its own antiparticle or one could say it has none. Only those number of ways to make them in this curious symmetry, due to…?

3. The net electric charge of the universe appears to be zero.

More?
    PoeticUniverse

There are countless examples both physical, energetic, ethical, philosophical as both us humans and the universe is a formation of a union of opposites.
  • leo
    I would say one of the more fundamental dualities is that of attraction and repulsion. If all things attracted one another everything would be reduced to a point. If all things repelled one another there wouldn’t be any star, planet, mammal, plant, bacterium, molecule, atom. The interplay between attraction and repulsion is at the heart of this world.
  • Gnomon
    I am thinking that the duality of non-existence lies in space and vacuum. while existence comprises of matter and energy.Thinking
    That sounds like the ancient Greek notion of Atoms & Void, something and nothing. Without void, matter could not move. Do you think somebody created that mutual relationship? Did everything else branch-off from that original duality? :smile:
  • Thinking
    Perhaps the entity that created the mutual relationship created the duality in the first place and therefore created the known Universe?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.