• Marchesk
    Is there a kind of life that wouldn't be pessimistic and was worth living? Can you define that? Some of the stuff you listed can feel worth it at times, and make life seem enjoyable. Whether it adds up to a meaningful life worth living depends on the individual. Antinatalists seem to think people are fooling themselves.

I see it both ways, just depending on my mood.
  • MondoR
    Indeed life is. From the outside its survival, comfort seeking, and finding entertainment. From the first person its dealing with situations. Dealing with getting through the manueverings of a society and existence itself. Doesnt matter if its an office, driving on a slippery highway, a coal mine, overcoming boredom, finding meaning in something, reading, hunting,gathering, hut building, dancing around the tribal fire, natural disasters,pandemics, other peoples actions, drinking, mental illness, getting warmer, cooler, finding the best product for your needs, debating metaphysics, watching a mo ie,playing a game, looking up information on the internet, eating, shitting, wiping, flushing, sewers, journals, cities, buildings, farming, war, religion, one upsmanship, laundry, chores, relationships, articles cleaning tour dwelling and living area...schopenhauer1

Try learning a new sport or art.
  • Possibility
    I beg to differ. By default living requires survival, usually in a cultural milieu. Unless you practice suicide by asceticism (pace Schopenhauer)..thats what youre doing, along with seeking comfort, and forms of entertainment (which religion and studying philosophy as a hobby fall into). People dont like to hear this reduction, but its true.schopenhauer1

Still, life is not necessarily about survival, or comfort or entertainment - that’s a matter of perspective, one that prioritises the individual. When someone focuses on risking their life on a daily basis, you can’t tell me their life is all about survival. And just because you may be able to interpret their actions to fit your own perspective, does not mean that’s what they’re doing. This reduction may be ‘true’ for you, but the reason people argue against this is not because they don’t like to hear it, but because it ignores the choices they make to deliberately invite risk, discomfort or boredom into their lives in pursuit of something bigger than their individual limitations.
  • schopenhauer1
    We are thrown here. You cannot rhetoric your way out of this stste of affairs.
  • Possibility
    We are thrown here. You cannot rhetoric your way out of this stste of affairs.schopenhauer1

The way I see it, this notion of ‘thrown-ness’ assumes the ‘self’ or ‘individual’ as a prime substance in relation to ‘here’. It’s a matter of perspective that ignores the construction of the ‘individual’.

The ‘self’ or ‘individual’ is a consolidation process of relational structures that exist regardless of consolidation. This consolidation relies on a) the awareness, connection and collaboration between integrated relational structures; and b) the existence of an overarching relational structure (self-consciousness), in relation to which it is necessarily incomplete.
  • Brett

What is meaningful then is not an individual identity or life, but everything and nothing, without prejudice.
    — Possibility

Yes, this is right. Which means that life does not have to be competition.
    — Brett

Agreed. Nor does it have to be about survival.
    Possibility

Having reached some agreement about this and giving it more thought I still have a snag.

Living the ascetic life, living the life of a Buddhist monk or a Christian in a monastery, it seems to me to be a realm separated from the world, where the walls are a boundary. Life inside is sustained by what is given to them. I know some produce food for themselves with gardens and whatever else they may take part in, but their survival is guaranteed by the outside world, which they do not have to contend with. So the problem of life being competition to survive, or in @schopenhauer1 relentless struggle through the day still seems to ring true to me.

So life doesn’t have to be about competition or survival, but for who?
  • MondoR
    So life doesn’t have to be about competition or survival, but for who?Brett

Living is not about living, it is about what you do with your life. I wonder what people, who believe the life is only about trying to continue to live, are doing with their lives? It must be a very boring life. Maybe even depressive? How about doing something with your life so it has some meaning?
  • Brett

How about doing something with your life so it has some meaning?MondoR

Such as?
  • MondoR
    Such asBrett

How about taking up photography and enjoying what you see?

Find a place to live, try to enjoy the food and air, and then have some fun in your life. Even those who are struggling the most, and there are 10s of millions of them, take time out to enjoy time with friends and family.
  • Brett

And what would it’s meaning be?
  • MondoR
    And what would it’s meaning be?Brett

To learn, to grow, to evolve. That is what we we are all doing.
  • Brett

Photography can do this, eating food, breathing the air?
  • MondoR
    Photography can do this, eating food, breathing the air?Brett

Of course. We learn from everything we do. Constantly.
  • Brett

How does photography do it?
  • Brett

And what would it’s meaning be?
    — Brett

To learn, to grow, to evolve. That is what we we are all doing.
    MondoR

How do you know that’s the meaning for life?
  • MondoR
    How does photography do it?Brett

Photography teaches how to look at the world differently, and when you look at it differently you see me things. You get "new eyes".

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes. [Proust]
  • MondoR
    How do you know that’s the meaning for life?Brett

Just observe what everyone is doing.
  • Brett

Photography teaches how to look at the world differently,MondoR

How?
  • Brett

Just observe what everyone is doing.MondoR

What is everyone doing?
  • MondoR
    What is everyone doing?Brett

Learning and evolving (changing). It's called evolution.
  • MondoR
    How?Brett

By study.
  • Brett

How?
    — Brett

By study.
    MondoR

You’ll need to explain that.
  • Brett

It's called evolution.MondoR

So that’s the meaning of life?
  • MondoR
    You’ll need to explain that.Brett

One studies photography just like one studies philosophy, and you learn something new.
  • Brett

One does not study photography like one studies philosophy. What do you learn from photography?
  • MondoR
    So that’s the meaning of life?Brett

Pretty much. We study, we learn, we experiment, we create new things. All of this is happening all of the time, and it is quite enjoyable to learn more about ourselves and the universe we live in.
  • Brett

If you go to take a photograph then you go to a place that already exists. Instead of sitting and being part of it you instead take some photos. Why?
  • MondoR
    One does not study photography like one studies philosophy. What do you learn from photography?Brett

Of course one does. Every skill requires study. There are differences of course, but the process of gradual accumulation of knowledge is the same.
  • Brett

So that’s the meaning of life?
    — Brett

Pretty much. We study, we learn, we experiment, we create new things. All of this is happening all of the time, and it is quite enjoyable to learn more about ourselves and the universe we live in.
    MondoR

It’s seems to me that you think the meaning to life is just doing things. We study, we learn, we create new things. For what purpose?
  • MondoR
    If you go to take a photograph then you go to a place that already exists. Instead of sitting and being part of it you instead take some photos. Why?
    a
    Brett

To see something in a new way and share this insight we others, if you wish.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.