• Benj96
    For those who are realists or materialists or, however they identify their philosophy, fundamentally believe that consciousness is simply a product of evolution of physical systems and is biologies means of interacting physically with the world, the existence of imagination is much less confounding if we place it in the context of anticipation of the future.

Imagination is internal simulation or construction of environments, relationships and ideas strictly within the mind but that can be demonstrated physically if desired.
    This is very much useful for survival alone and need not come about for any other reason than that. To know the future or the likely passage of near events is massively useful for survival but requires the manifestation of experience that doesn’t yet exist outside the mind and perhaps may never come to fruition.

So evolution could generate imagination, creativity etc out of necessity due to accelerated and fiercely intelligent competition. The irony of acknowledging this as possibility is that I myself don’t actually believe imagination is the product of evolution or at least I don’t restrict the process of evolution (and therefore it’s products) solely to biology. I would take a universal emergence kind of perspective.

Anyways, thoughts?
  • Jack Cummins

I am not sure that I follow your argument entirely, but that may be my defect. I think that you are querying the evolution and role of imagination.

It must be a central aspect of human wiring. Without it we would live in a world without the arts and probably the sciences too because many of the scientists, like Leonardo da Vinci and Einstein.
    If we lost the imagination life would become like a world full of robots.

Perhaps through the power of imagination we can seek creative vision for the future and provide pathways for these to become manifested in the world.
  • jgill
    "...can be demonstrated physically if desired" is a stretch. I can imagine flying to the moon in ten seconds, but it ain't happening! :gasp:
  • Down The Rabbit Hole
    I don't understand where imagination would come from if not from evolution (including by-products of other evolutionary traits). What do you mean by universal emergence?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.