• Rxspence
    I debate therefore I appreciate
  • afterthegame
    The original Latin has it in three words. "cogito ergo sum". "I think - therefore - I am". Antecedent - adverb - consequent.

This is the bare minimum required for a conditional statement! Antecedent - adverb - consequent. Otherwise, it could not be a conditional statement - just maybe a name for an idea or a thing.
  • Rxspence
    Origional in french
    ( je pense, donc je suis )
    "we cannot doubt of our existence while we doubt."

Antoine Léonard Thomas, aptly captures Descartes's intent: dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum ("I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am").

Historical accuracy is not important
    Physical existence is as important as history
    What is Latin for Reality
  • Present awareness
    How about “I am, therefore I think I am?
  • counterpunch
    I don't like it, because I don't agree with the original - cogito ergo sum. It is arrived at by dishonest means, and written in terror of the Church - by a contemporary of Galileo, who had just been tried for the heresy of finding certain knowledge - that the earth orbits the sun, by scientific method.

It is no coincidence that Descartes finds he knows nothing for certain except that I am thinking, and therefore I exist. His method of doubting everything is skeptical doubt - not rational doubt. He pictures an evil demon deceiving him, to believe that he has arms and legs, and eyes that see the world about him, and in this condition - possibly deceived, he established cogito ergo sum, but philosophically he had painted himself into a corner.

His conclusion applies to nothing; but not to worry, says Descartes "For the light of reason assures me that God cannot be a deceiver, for deceit proceeds from defect, and God is perfect" - and so it is God that saves Descartes and his idea of a disembodied consciousness from the solipsistic oblivion of its conception.

The Church was delighted with Descartes. Galileo was threatened with torture and held under house arrest for the rest of his life - while Descartes became the pet philosopher of Queen Christina of Sweden.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.