• TheMadFool
    Geometrization (countable and uncountable, plural geometrizations): The use of geometrical concepts and techniques in a different field of study, or the process of making something geometrical. (mathematics) The description of a space as a geometry. — Wiktionary

This is just a vague idea that popped into my head but I want to throw it out there to get some feedback and to check whether it merits further study or not.

My physics is high-school level so the most complex equation I encountered involved the second power i.e. equations that had raising a quantity to the power of 2 [squaring]. So, you won't see any equations that anyone with basic math knowledge can't handle.

Let's dive in:

pi = 3.141569...

Equation 1
    Force = mass * acceleration [F = m * a]
    Geometrization: This is basically a rectangle with an area = m * a where m and a are the length and the width

Equation 2
    Energy = mass * (speed of light)^2 [E = m * c^2]
    Geometrization 1: This is cuboid with a volume = m * c^2 with one side length m and the other two sides both length c.

Geometrization 2: You can always factor out pi from m and then E = (m/pi) * (pi) * c^2 and you get the volume of a cylinder with a radius c and height (m/pi)

Equation 3
    Gravitational force = Gravitational constant * (mass of one object * mass of second object)/(distance between these objects)^2 [F = (G * (m1 * m2))/r^2

Geometrization:F * r^2 = G * (m1 * m2) = (F/pi) * pi * r^2 = G * (m1 * m2)
    This is basically asserting that a cylinder with height (F/pi) and radius r has the same volume as a cuboid with lengths G, m1 and m2

Can we take this idea, run with it and reduce, in a manner of speaking, all science to geometry?
  • Trebor
    No!
    Science is not a math, its a style of philosophy , a technique, a way of reasoning.
  • Sir2u
    Can we take this idea, run with it and reduce, in a manner of speaking, all science to geometry?TheMadFool

Math is one of the ways used to express the working of science, I think that you are several hundred years late coming up with this.
  • Sir2u
    No!
    Science is not a math, its a style of philosophy , a technique, a way of reasoning.
    Trebor

:gasp: :chin: :roll:
  • TheMadFool
    No!
    Trebor

Physics envy? What's that but a general sense of dissatisfaction with how the soft sciences lack the mathematical precision of physics and even chemistry?

Math is one of the ways used to express the working of science, I think that you are several hundred years late coming up with this.Sir2u

As full of hubris as this may sound it's not correct to draw this conclusion from what I'm about to ask. Can you name a mathematician who's taken this approach to scientific equations before me?
  • Sir2u
    Can you name a mathematician who's taken this approach to scientific equations before me?TheMadFool

In reality I cannot think of anyone that would have wasted their time comparing scientific equations that describe the workings of the universe and down-scaling it to simple geometry. Geometry itself has a place in science, but not everything can be downgraded to it and still explained by it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.