• HermanS
    I never had any formal logic in college, but I find it fascinating, so I bought a used copy of Priest's An Introduction to Non-Classical Logic. I got through the first five chapters with no problems (though the more philosophical questions are above me on first go around), and even most of Chapter 6 (intuitionist logic) was fine, but there are a couple of times where syllogisms are said to be false, but I seem unable to make the tableau rules prove it. If anyone can please point out what I am missing, it would be greatly appreciated.

6.6.2, First Example (forgive me my useless eraser)
    logic1.jpg

6.6.2, Second Example
    logic2.jpg

Exercise 6.10.4c
    IMG-0698.jpg

Exercise 6.10.4e
    IMG-0697.jpg

Thanks in advance.
  • Alvin Capello
    HermanS

Hello! Apologies for the late reply. Here are the places where I think you went wrong. All of these suffer from the same problem it seems:

In the 2 examples for 6.6.2, you sent both negative conditionals from world 0 to world 1. But this is incorrect: each negative conditional should bring a new world into the tableau. So, for instance, you can send (P -> Q), -0 to world 1, but now you have to send (Q -> S) -0 to a new world, say world 2). Give that a shot and see how it goes :smile:

Now for exercise 6.10.4c there's a similar problem, when you negate a negative proposition, you need to bring a new world to the tableau. But you sent both of them to the same world. Therefore, after sending -P, -0 to world 1, you need to send -Q, -0 to world 2.

Same thing with 6.10.4e. You sent both negative conditionals to world 1, but you need to send the first to world 1 and the second to world 2.

I hope this was helpful. Please let me know if you have more questions.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.