• Benj96
    How fast does information change? And how effectively can humans preserve information over long periods of time? And thirdly, why is it important to preserve information?

Information is any and all interactions, forms and states of entropy that exist and so falls within a huge spectrum between the slowest changing forms of information say, that which govern physics, some of the more inert elements of the period table, stars etc. to the most rapidly changing information; massive energetic interactions, speed and momentum, Super-computing etc.

As for humans, our ability to conserve information is still relatively primitive but improving. Early humans didn’t read or write. Knowledge and info were passed on vocally and so subject to the failings and alterations of memory. At this time DNA most likely had the highest fidelity in copying or reproducing information through time as unchanging/ conserved as could biologically be done.

Then we learned to produce books and both the volume of accesible information as well as the ability to conserve information exploded rapidly changing at a core level how fast civilisation could develop on previous and existing knowledge.

But language whether written or spoken has its flaws. Language is in a sense alive and very much evolves and changes with culture and lifestyle. So given several hundred years the languages used to preserve information may go extinct or become so illusory and unknown that deciphering them is much more interpretative than objective.

Now we have computers with hardware and a resilient and dynamic World Wide Web for which to store information despite whether the hardware expires or not. The ability with this technology to preserve information as well as a means to decode it logically (perhaps using scientific method or some other basic principle) can probably span hundreds to thousands of years of human lives.

But why is it important to progress the conservation of information and knowledge? Because the larger a data set one has the greater control power or ability they can possess from analysing it. Consider if we had documented every single genetic change that occurred to us since we became modern day humans? We could likely come to know everything possible about the appearance, behaviour and especially diseases that evolved around that genetic change. The other utilities of having preserved information through time are huge such as preservation of all scientific discoveries thus far so that other civilisation or perhaps humans themselves after some disaster could reconstruct or “update” their knowledge to the leading edge of progression.

So in the future what may be the best tool we have to preserve information? If there’s one thing about information that is certain is that with time it changes. It’s impossible for it not to. Otherwise it wouldn’t be information. So what if we changed time itself in order to conserve something in one form for vast periods of time, for example the male and female gametes of all living things in a huge biological archive of modern day nature.

A black hole has such strong gravity that it dilates time so that everything within its gravitation pull experiences the passage of time 1000s of frames slower than on earth . A day at t he event horizon could be 100,000s of years on earth. So what if we put a large hard drive into close orbit around a Black hole with a Simple And basic logical key To operate and decode the content?

Millions of years could pass on earth and the very technology we used to store it could have evolved beyond recognition at that stage but if done correctly theoretically any semi intelligent species could unlock an exact detailed account of current existence for humanity and maybe even generate a simulation of it or reconstruct it from all of our genetic code physics etc.

Black holes are the source of almost eternal universal memory. The issue is in the transition between high gravity slow time to lower gravity fast time. Retrieval of the hard drive would take several thousand years once the jets of the craft begin to propel it out of near black hole orbit back to open space
  • Athena
    Are you preparing to write a science fiction book? That was a long post and I don't think many would read it through.

I couldn't help muse at your explanation of how a black hole distorts time. Would a black hole explain how God could create the world in 6 days?

Exactly what is time? I thought it was an abstract thing not tangible reality. What makes time a tangible reality?

I think the best way to preserve information is write it in stone. Information dependent on electronic technology would not be accessible to those who do not have that technology. Global warming could bring our civilizations to an end and we might have to start over again with low technology.
  • Benj96
    I am preparing for a science fiction book :)
  • jgill
    I think the best way to preserve information is write it in stoneAthena

It's astounding how well the ancient Egyptians did this, isn't it? Continues to fascinate me. :smile:
  • Dan Hall
    I'm of the opinion that all the information is already there and we are actually losing it if you look at science it all comes from nature some quick examples is dna it's actually information that evolves from our environment not the other way around all the chemical reactions like amino acids and the sun already existed and simply needed to right conditions to form and not the other way around now if we look at more primative things animals chew sticks the make spears they have horns tusks it's a natural occurance also if we look at hybrids it's actually a loss of genetic material in almost all cases if you take two plants of a fruit for example if it gives us a million seeds from crossbreeding almost all of the seeds will be of inferior quality you actually lose 50 percent of genetic material from both plants they do not gain material you must grow all the seeds to maturity to find your "diamond in the dirt" and you must take seeds and continue the cycle so while the written language has allowed us to make great advances it's also very limited in what we can do with it because of its origins and early works example most European writing actually comes from one source Homer of ancient Greece now we find that perhaps in the workplace you might start a job and someone teaches you the proper way to do it but sometimes I find if we try to learn the job and then are shown the right way after some time youll learn a small trick that nobody else learned simply by doing it wrong , or perhaps another example you can go to school and learn from the best and not understand at all until you begin to apply what you've learned in practice then the theory begins to make sense and you learn in this manner .
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment