• Jack Cummins

I think that you are going to a ridiculous extreme in suggesting that we should be 'largely dismissing" the accounts of those who have the near death experiences because these stories are the raw material for discussion.

Getting back to the analogy of psychiatry and schizophrenia, you could ask if psychiatrists should stop listening to patients? Should the patients be sedated into silence.?

What you are saying about near death experiences does denote them into the purgatory of being labelled as delusions. Surely this is not a logic of philosophy but more an attitude, not backed up by sound and coherent argument.

You offered some references but did not appear to have engaged with the material in question. You offered a video of a psychiatrist arguing against them but to do so was no more evidence than offering a video of a person claiming to have had a near death experience. There are many psychiatrists with many opinions. Also, I have worked alongside psychiatrists and would not elevate them as having supreme monopoly on truth.

I am not wishing to dismiss your dismissal of near death experiences, but I do think that you need to explore arguments in a deeper way.
  • Jack Cummins

I have just seen thalt I made an error. It was two other writers and not you who included videos.
    So I apologise for that.

Actually, I do believe that putting videos by others as evidence and this is ultimate evidence and I question why they think that because someone has recorded something on video makes it anymore valid than anything we say...( You never know students might start quoting us as evidence because it is a recognised website, although names like Hippyhead might look odd in a list of essay references.)

But my point that you need to develop a solid argument if you want to dismiss the experience of near death accounts still holds, because so far I am not convinced of the logic of your views.

And in conclusion, I will say that I am not against the 'expert" opinions of psychiatrists but wish to question the experts.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.