• Darkneos
    So I know I made a previous post on this thread in regards to solipsism and I took all your replies to heart. It's slowly getting better each and every day and it's losing it's power on me.

Most of it is looking through the reddit thread and in all honestly seeing how ridiculous it looks from the outside (often times one does need a perspective outside their own or to step outside themselves). Also looking at threads from people who say you are God: http://www.yourconstruct3.blogspot.com/

I realize how silly it seems now and how I gave it too much power and control. It's a curious thing to think about and it does humble you somewhat by questioning what can really be known. But I see now that as words to live by it's not exactly logical.
  • Philosophim
    All good Darkneos. I'm glad its working out for you! There is no shame in feeling a certain way and searching for answers. There are plenty of things we've all thought that are silly on hind sight, and I'm sure many today that will be silly in the future. =D
  • Jack Cummins

It is hard engaging in deep conversations without without engaging with people in fleshand blood, almost a soliptist reality at times.

I get a bit uptight and sensitive about replies. I have even feared that I have even been banned as inadequate to write on the site at times but this is probably my own failure neurosis playing up.

But I really did worry on my train journey today in case I am regarded as such a waste of space making comments, lacking in critical thinking ability and the fluency to express myself in the true language of philosophers, even though the writers are amateurs officially. But I plod on, taking risks, for better or worse.

I look back at things I have written and think if only I had written better, but even, then, despite my fear of rejection and even being banned as a totally incompetent thinker I realise that it would be possible for a person to be shunned on this site and end up a published writer.

For now, I encourage you to write and you will probably be far more successful than me. I take risks and the worst that can happen is rejection and I taper off into a lonely soliptist reality, even if it is a completely different take on soliptist than your own, but that is the sadness or beauty of the entrapment in one's own personal reality.

I am sure that your comments will probably be far more esteemed and successful than mine, but I have not given up yet.
  • Darkneos
    I mean it's unproveable, well un "anything" really. You can't attack or defend it. I figured why waste time on it.
  • Darkneos
    UPDATE: I backslide a little bit because on quora I see a handful of people saying that it is true.

https://www.quora.com/The-idea-of-solipsism-is-driving-me-nuts-Is-a-solipsistic-world-a-likely-possibility

Solipsism is recognizing that you can't prove, or even determine, whether anything outside of your thoughts exists. So solipsism is a fact. But I guess you are asking whether it's possible that the world as you perceive it doesn't exist.

The answer is that it's not only possible, a logical case can be made that it's likely.

For example, the Simulation Argument goes like this:

It's pretty clear that computers will eventually be so powerful that even a normal household pc can simulate a whole person's life so well that someone inside the simulation can't tell it's not real. If that happens, and becomes common, there will quickly end up being more simulates people than real people, so the odds will be that any given person is a simulation. And there's no reason to think that hasn't already happened, and you're inside such a simulation.

On the other hand, I have some good news:

You're definitely not the only real person, because I know I (or at least my thoughts and perceptions) exist.

So now you can let me know if you are real, and we'll be set.

Well except that's exactly what a fake person would say. So we're screwed.

Or at least I am.

I don't honestly know if the simulation hypothesis is evidence for it. I mean that's just another thought experiment. But it seems like the argument here is that you can't prove or determine whether anything outside your mind exists. I agree with the "prove" part, not sure about the determine aspect of it.

If this is what they are defining as solipsism then yes, I would have to begrudgingly concede that I can't prove or determine whether anything outside my mind exists. I won't say it doesn't, and it still doesn't explain how my mind is generating all this stuff without any source material to work with.

How do I deal with people saying it's true or a fact?
  • Darkneos
    I'm seriously asking by the by.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.